Color Blindness - - -

Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I never said men were the only ones. I said I knew a few men who were. I guess I should go find a female to know, who is color blind so I won't come across as color blind prejudiced against tons of people.
Okay, that made me laugh out loud here all by myself!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have a brother in law that is color blind. All my life I have heard only men are color blind. If there are women that are color blind, I have not heard of them.
As I remember from some brief education in genetics, color blindness is a recessive trait. Women (XX) usually have another dominate gene to combat the recessive. Men (Xy), however, don't. So some traits like baldness and color blindness show up more often in men than in women. Someone correct if I'm wrong. Forty plus years is a long time and I may not remember correctly.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:01 AM

It's extremely rare (about 2% of women; I believe unheard of in men), but some people have an additional type of cone (light-detecting cell) in their eyes and can see a LOT more colors than the average person. Birds, insects, and some other creatures also have extra cones and can see colors we don't even have names for! I think that's so cool. Google "tetrachromat" if you want to read about it - I think it's fascinating.

My father's best friend was completely color-blind; only saw in shades of grey. I remember as a child being aggravated with him because I wanted a ripe (and very orange colored) orange off of his tree, and he kept trying to pick greenish ones for me, and I couldn't understand that he couldn't see the difference - I thought he was teasing me.

I believe my husband is slightly blue/green colorblind. We disagree about colors in that spectrum a LOT.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I know few men who are colored blind. They can't tell blue from brown, don't see colors as being vibrant. One just recently got the new glasses for color blindness. He is thrilled. He can see colors like he never has. He cried when he put the on. He was shocked how beautiful colors were.

There is a simple test to check for color blindness up front. A more detail test if you fail the first one.
Wow!!!! That is awesome. Good for him!!!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Color blindness is more prevalent in men.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM

I have heard women carry the gene for color blindness and pass it onto their sons, and that it is rare in women. My husband is color blind and sometimes so funny seeing things wrong color. I didn't know about them being able to see shapes better but he can spot a bird or deer way before me. Sometimes I never see the animal he sees, just thought it was my poor vision.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have a son who is color blind. All my life I have heard only men are color blind. If there are women that are color blind, I have not heard of them.
This is true for me, as well. My maternal grandfather was color blind, my mom was not, I am not, but my youngest son is. He knew he didn't see colors as others do, but compensated with knowing red is on top and green on the bottom of traffic lights. He learned of his color blindness when he took a test in college to drive the campus bus for a part-time job. He was not hired!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:44 AM

My father was red green colorblind and was a barn storming pilot before WWII. After joining the military he was grounded because he could not pass the color test. Digital instrumentation came in about that time, 1942. Spent the entire war sitting in Orlando teaching others how to fly in a classroom setting. Mom laid out his clothes. But buying a new car was hilarious. He would come home with a mouse grey one. Mouse grey did not hurt his eyes.

Miss him terribly.

Marcia
Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Color blindness is more prevalent in men.
My grandson, age 24, is color blind. When he came to live with me 10 years ago, he had done considerable research on the subject and he said the gene is mostly carried in the male line. Fathers may not be color blind but pass the gene on to their sons. He often teased his father about it. He hated it in high school when the teacher would ask if anyone was color blind. Hated being different as most teens do. He sees red best; so, therefore, his favorite color. Pink and orange also appear as red. Most colors are greyish and he cannot tell the difference between dark colors. I don't know about shapes and etc; but he is in the military and excels on the firing range.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 AM

I believe women are carriers of the color blindness gene, though there are a few color-blind women. My husband and son both have difficulty with certain colors.