Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which do you dislike more? >

Which do you dislike more?

Which do you dislike more?

Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 AM

If there are only a few blocks that are too small I'll see if they can be taken apart and resewn, since sometimes it's just one or two seams that are off. I also sometimes just make new blocks to replace the ones that are too small.

If there are a lot that are too small, I would cut them all down to the smaller size. It's time consuming, but I don't think I could ease in that much without a struggle. Since there are so many blocks, maybe cut down the biggest ones and ease in the rest?

Squaring up blocks is a good time to listen to radio shows, podcasts or audio books!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Smile

Do not trim them down. Just make them fit, match the seams and stretch. When you quilt it it will all work out. This is assuming they are all cut to the correct size before you start piecing. What I found that helped is working on that quarter inch seam and being consistent. Oh yes, press, do not iron. Before cutting out pieces, I also iron the fabric on hot after spraying with Magic or starch. This will take care of any shrinkage.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-14-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

the same things happen to me, and wonder, "what's wrong with me?"
why, no matter how hard I work at it, it happens?
I do now starch A LOT!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM

For some things like hst's I like to make them oversized and then trim them to the right size. I once used a pattern that you made everything oversized and then cut down. The pattern also told me the measurement that the block-in-progress should be after each joining each patch, but that got kinda tedious. I just do the best I can. I'll give a seam 3 tries, and after the 3rd time if it's still not perfect it stays that way. Occasionally if I have enough fabric I'll cut new pieces. Seldom perfect, but still happy with the results.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM

I'll try all of the advice as well. It sure is frustrating when things don't line up.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 AM

I'm with Annaquilts. MAKE it fit! YOU are the Master Quilter. Fabric is submissive. Starch and a hot iron can do wonders. After quilting and a good wash cycle......on a galloping horse, no-one will ever see your small discrepencies. Even if they do, no one is ever perfect. One One I know of. Bless you.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:06 AM

If you're just off a tad, you can try putting the larger piece on the bottom as you sew and it might pull up just enough as it goes through the feed dogs.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:52 AM

The lady from Missouri Star uses precuts that she doesn't square up first. Precuts are not always exactly right. If you watch her videos you can see the blocks are not always perfect and sometimes they don't quite line up. If you used precuts like she does that might be your problem. The quilts always look great when finished but I suspect they use more care when they are doing one for a sample.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

For me "squaring up" doesn't mean trimming, but rather 'altering' the blocks. If something is too big I take the seam or seams in just a hair. It usually involves sewing right next to the original stitching line. Same if the block is too small.... just resew a tad to the inside of the original seam and then take the original out. It's worth it to alter your blocks to make them fit without having to distort them. I don't like puckers and pulls in my quilt tops.

I think my background in dressmaking and alterations makes me compelled to alter blocks that aren't quite right.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I've read articles on this site before about women who dislike hand binding so they machine bind the quilts. Or women who dislike cutting the hundreds of pieces for a quilt. Does anyone besides me dislike having to square up each individual block before assembling rows? I cut all the pieces the same, sewed with the same 1/4 foot, and yet some have measured 5 l/4" and others 5 1/2" for the finished block. At this point I have 168 blocks that don't quite measure up the same. Wondering if I should re-cut them all down to 5 1/4 and hope they fit together. I should mention I'm making a Missouri Star Quilt Co. pattern named Jack and Jill. What would you do?
I have found that many of MSQC patterns have bias edges, which are notoriously easy to stretch ......and can result in blocks where dimensions are off..........