Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Always said I wouldn't, but I did!   (Again) >

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM

I thought your post was hilarious and intended that way. I hope so, anyway. I've bought two kits in the last few years---really beautiful Jinny Beyer and a Judy Niemeyer both of which were intricate paper pieced patterns that I could never have though to tackle on my own. I have an eye for colors, but their choice in fabric Also exceeded my horizon. Could I have picked out the fabric myself? Probably with a lot of time and anguish which I didn't want or need. This way was totally enjoyable for me...make it "yours" with your quilting...and enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 PM

Just enjoy the kit! It's only one and you'll love it completed!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 AM

Life is too short.....make the quilt and loose the guilt! If you see a fabric you do not like that is different; swap it out.
Trying new things and changing stretch us and give us new perspective! Enjoy!!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Sometimes I purchase kits. I have purchased them just for the fabric with no intention of making the quilt. Other times I have switched out or added fabrics from my stash. I do not make the identical quilt, because I need to make it my own. There is no shame in making a kit as it's intended, but for me it does not feel as special if I do not add my own changes.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Either way, enjoy the kit! Change it up or keep it the way it was made, it is ALLL good!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Consider the kit a way to make a quilt you will love without spending so much time picking fabrics. I sometimes find that I spend as much time picking as I do sewing! Use that time that you saved to start another quilt. (I have never used a kit, though I have used the patterns of others many times as a jumping off point).
Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 AM

Just be sure you have all the fabric that's supposed to be in the kit. Sometimes you don't and, for sure, if it's short it will be with the one fabric you really want to use.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM

I love kits! The fabrics all go together, better than I could have chosen (or found, for that matter). I have used a lot of them as 'training wheels' to do more complicated things, like appliqué and lots of triangles. When I've done a small hanging or table runner kit with more complicated things, I'm ready to tackle a quilt.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Do you have I a problem reading a book someone else wrote or do you only read what you wrote or do you have to change the characters or the ending? Do you ever use someone else's recipe when cooking or heaven forbid buy and eat ready made food or eat in a restaurant? I am not trying to be facetious. Just because you did not create the pattern or choose the fabrics doesn't mean that you are not using your own skills and talents in putting it together. Making the choice of a pattern you like is also a skill.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:49 PM

I have to add, it is a good thing this teacher didn't require that you grow your own cotton and make it into the fabric for your project.