Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive? >

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Are we - as quilters - sometimes overly sensitive?

Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM

In a children's book I read, the character's uncle tells her, "Most situations don't require your input." I remind myself of that a lot, keeps life simpler. The character's aunt tells her to tell the truth and to be kind, and she reflects that it's not always easy to do both. So true.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 AM
mac

I grew up in a household where criticism was the rule over being nice. It was a hard way to grow up, never hearing a kind word or being given a pat on the back for doing a good job.

Here is a funny example: I went to visit my parents and when my dad answered the door, instead of saying "Hi, how are you?" or "Glad to see you." His first words when he opened the door were, "What did you do, comb your hair with a fork?" Since this was the type of thing I always ran into with my parents, it really didn't phase me much.

One of the things that I learned along the way was to just roll with the punches. In spite of my upbringing, I had to teach myself how to say things in a kind way and that was really hard, since I didn't have any role models to copy.

When ptquilts said, "One of my favorite sayings, "Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Applies to a lot of hurtful comments. This is a perfect saying that I will remember from now on.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:39 AM

When I first started quilting, I had some friends that didn't understand the fascination, the addiction to fabric or much anything about it. Several of those friends berated me for acting "old", they now want a quilt from me.. It ain't happening. I still have plenty of quilts to make for people who supported me in that decision, or at the least, just smiled, shook their heads and said, Carry on if it makes ya happy!
Old 09-26-2017, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I either have very thick skin or just don't give a rat's a__. LOL I don't expect praise or compliments from anyone and if given I say thank you, hurtful remarks I just look annoyed at having to listen.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
I see many postings on the internet that makes me wonder if the person would actually say that if they were saying it in person, face-to-face. Wonder where our graciousness (is that a word?) has gone.

totally agree. But I also know that something written can sound so cold, but when spoken with a smile can have a completely different meaning.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
One of my favorite sayings, "Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Applies to a lot of hurtful comments.
I like that!!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 PM

It's hard not to share what we love. And really hard to get that others might not love something as we do. When this kind of thing happens just try to take a deep breath and remember the joy and contentment that came to you as you made the item.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:24 AM

I think a lot of people may express a thought without having any idea what went into the making of something. I've had people say "You gave them a bedspread?" like I was being cheap or insensitive. Little did they know that I spent many hours making that "bedspread" and the total cost of it. Fortunately, the people I gave it to were aware of it's value, both monetary and time-wise, as well as it's the thought that counts.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM
KLO

I don't see a reply yet from huntannette about the doily quilts she has made so thought I would pass the link along (I hope!) to those who were interested. I just saw her quilts posted this morning and thought they were fantastic!

Quilts with doilies

If this doesn't work, just put in "Quilts with doilies" in the advance search bar at the top right corner of this page.

I hope you don't mind me doing this huntannette but apparently there are a bunch of quilters who want to see your doily quilts and I cannot blame them as they are wonderful!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Not usually. I tend to rattle people when I use the term "blanket" instead of quilt. BUT growing up, that's what they were called, as that's what we used them for. To this day my kids will say "if you need another blanket , they're in the closet". Oh yes, I get the "stink-eye" for this. BUT to me they aren't art objects, they're practical items for use.