Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Do I Begin??? >

Where Do I Begin???

Where Do I Begin???

Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 AM

Very pretty quilt top. I suggest gentle curving lines whether you do it in rows from side to side (similar to a pantograph) or use stencils. That would bring out you fabric design rather than compete with it which would happen with straight line quilting. I have had good success with drawing designs on long strips of paper, pinning them to my quilt and follow the lines. Tear away the paper and use a ling roller to clean up the little bits that stick in the stitching.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 AM

No advice, just want to say it is beautiful!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:30 AM

What a beauty!

It was suggested to me to buy a clear plastic tablecloth from the dollar store and wipe away markers and use those to put over my quilt so I could audition some designs. Thought that was a good idea.
While you"re waiting for inspiration, perhaps stitch in the ditch around all the sashing. By the time you"ve got that completed, I'm sure many more people will have chimed in as well.

Watson
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM

What about a wavy line thru the sashing on a white thread and then duplicate the butterfly (or a flower if you are more comfortable with that) in the blocks with a variegated blue/green thread?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM

No matter which pattern you choose, it will remain gorgeous!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:19 AM

I use pins while others baste.. You don't want puckers on the back! So smooth out carefully! I start in the middle and work to the outside when pinning and quilting! Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt. IF you plan to do an overall design such as meander, loops, or other continuous lines, then ditching is not necessary. You would start roughly in the center and work toward the edges.

IF you want to do FMQ designs in each block, I would ditch the sashing strips starting from the middle out in each direction. Then go back and quilt inside the blocks.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM

I would SITD around the color pieces. If your not good at that I would stitch about 1/4" away and then fill the white with whatever filler design you are best at. Doesn't need to be a really tight filler. The color sections and the butterfly would pop out and be the focus of the quilt. I would ignore the sashings and seams if I did this.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM

I love your beautiful quilt! Whatever you decide it will be perfect. Happy Quiliting!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
What a beauty!

It was suggested to me to buy a clear plastic tablecloth from the dollar store and wipe away markers and use those to put over my quilt so I could audition some designs. Thought that was a good idea.
While you"re waiting for inspiration, perhaps stitch in the ditch around all the sashing. By the time you"ve got that completed, I'm sure many more people will have chimed in as well. And yes, that is a beautiful top!

Watson
I get a cheap clear shower liner at the dollar store to cover my potting table. I have not seen a clear table cover, but that might be heavier and so, better for this use. I still have never successfully quilted from the outside in, i.e., been happy at the end, but then I also pin and baste, so am probably out of control anyway.

Last edited by Lee in Richmond; 10-13-2017 at 02:55 AM. Reason: clarity