Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Suggestions - Best White White Batting for Hand Quilting >

Need Suggestions - Best White White Batting for Hand Quilting

Need Suggestions - Best White White Batting for Hand Quilting

Old 10-28-2017, 04:56 AM

I don't think your seam allowance will show once you get batting behind it. And I'm not sure that the batting really needs to be a pure white to reduce the shadowing.

I usually use W&N to hand quilt but have been wanting to try the 100% cotton Quilter's Dream. It is what my quilting mentor uses and it does have a beautiful drape. Their white looks pretty white to me!

If you have the option, could you take a couple of your blocks to the shop and lay them on top of the various battings?? I wouldn't worry about having that process in 'bright light' as that is likely not where your quilt is going to be used and loved. Any decent lighting will do for this purpose.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I don't have the answer to your question. I'm working on an EPP hexie right now but all the fabrics are prints- it will be scrappy. I love working on it at night.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 AM

If it were me, after hand piecing, I would use a wool batting, it hand quilts wonderfully. The shadowing will not show. Just quilt 1/4 in around or inside of each piece, the traditional way. I have hand quilted a lot. I am now teaching myself via u-tube to free motion, but I do still hand quilt. Just go for it and enjoy.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:09 PM
JT

I did a quilt with hexie on a white background. I too had shadow on the white on white. As I appliqued the hexies on I put a small hexie shaped batting behind the white, tucked under the seams. I know this is probably more than you want to do with a whole quilt, but it worked for me...just an idea.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:50 AM

I'm a hand quilter and like the poof of polyester battings for the ease of needling plus the ease of maintaining. Polys also are pure white so no problem with color showing through. I wouldn't be concerned about shadowing of the white but sometimes the colored pieces can show through. It would be a real problem to go back now and trim the color side of the seam shorter than the white part but something to consider for the "next one"? Actually that shadowing is a great aid in keeping the 1/4" as a template of sorts for your quilting line and that fabric will only fill in the space between the stitched seam and the quilting. Don't be concerned about it.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 AM

As a hand quilter I would recommend Quilters Dream Request. I've tried others and for me this is the best. Polyester is ok maybe for a child's quilt that is going to require lots of laundering. Of course wool is probably easiest, but apart from the cost there is also the risk factor, especially in an heirloom quilt.

Last edited by nantucketsue; 10-29-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:16 AM

I don't do a lot of hand quilting but do enjoy it now that I started using wool batting. It's worth every penny.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:55 PM

I would use Quilter's Dream batting. I don't think you will be disappointed in the results.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 PM

I hand quilt with Warm and White. It looks great under white fabric.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:44 PM

I agree to avoid anything with scrim. I made the mistake of buying a white batting, not realizing it had scrim, and had to undo all that basting after finding I couldn’t get a hand quilting needle through it. Quilter’s Dream is nice! Good luck with your quilt. Can’t wait to see the finished quilt!