Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Changes at Joann's Fabric >

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Changes at Joann's Fabric

Old 11-05-2017, 08:23 AM

theft is a very big problem wherever our local Wal Mart even has a special check out station in the make up department so have to pay there before you leave and the bag is stapled shut everything has to be under lock and key any more so sad to have so many thieves in the country anymore
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 AM

It's not just JoAnn's, Walmart, Costco, etc. When we go to the CrackerBarrel we are greeted by a smiling face who asks if she can help us find anything. We say, "no", give our name to be called when a table in the restaurant portion opens up and, in the meantime, browse the retail portion.... and we are followed!!! ...... and continually asked, "Can I help you find something?", over and over again. It absolutely infuriates me.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
.......... and we are followed!!! ...... and continually asked, "Can I help you find something?", over and over again. It absolutely infuriates me.
Though .... is it customer service towards generating sales?
... yes, maybe a bit over zealous.
However, we have all had times when we did want that help, and could not find anyone!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM

I was shopping for blades not long ago and found the package had been opened and a blade slipped out of several packs. So sad so many take what they want without paying. It makes prices go up for all.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately even quilters are stealing. One of our LQS had a quilt that was being raffled to support the Easter Seal Society taken right off the wall and was gone in seconds. Another quilt made by an employee of the shop suffered the same fate. Another LQS lost and entire bolt of fabric. The fabric was taken off the bolt and probably hidden under someone's coat. All that was left was the cardboard bolt. I also remember that Gena Kimball (applique artist and designer) had applique blocks stolen from her booth at a quilt show. Mary Sorenson, applique artist and designer, also had quilts stolen. Spray paint and expensive items like Go dies are also locked up at our local JoAnns and also Hobby Lobby. The local grocery stores lock up really expensive liquor and the bottles all have alarms on them.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM

I use to volunteer for public schools in my area. The theft among students is so common no one pays much attention to it. The kids get no support when reporting the thefts other then being told you shouldn't have left it unattended. Yep it's the victim's fault. Even in elementary school many of the kids would steal items from the lower grade kids. Little kids would have their coats, hats, lunch boxes, and even shoes stolen. I caught one older girl stealing a kindergarten's coat left on the playground and she said it was just laying there on the ground so she wasn't stealing it. Her parents told her finders keepers and wouldn't be mad at her for taking it. The principal sad let it go we can't prove anything. I don't volunteer in public school anymore as each year it was getting worse and the kids were getting bolder and meaner. The good students suffered with no support.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 PM

There are ways to bring things to the register that the cashier can not see, no matter what. Recently, I had a carton of beverages in my cart. It was rung up but not moved. When I put it in my car, I saw that there was a fq under it. No, I did not immediately return to the store to return it or pay for it. But the next time I was in the store, I brought one to the cashier and explained what happened, paid for it and then asked the cashier to put it into returns.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM

Our Joann’s store has had them locked up for more than a year...but I’m not sure if it’s because of theft or safety?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

It seems now days it is okay to steal from others. Seems to beat the heck out of working. With addictions to illegal drugs being so high, some things are stolen for resale. Everything is 100% profit for them. Some older people might think they are entitled, or owed it.

It is really a shame there are so many thieves.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Just incredibly sad that stealing has become rampant and almost a norm for today's society.
Where is integrity these days?