Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric? >

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM

I"m glad to see there are others shopping local to keep the LQS's in business. I try to hit the one near my house regularly and buy *something* even if it's small. They do carry some nice wide quilt backing and some nice batiks so when I need those items I definitely buy from them.

I've also discovered a Bernina store/LQS that while not really close to me has awesome fabrics. I plan to make a trip out there just to shop after the holidays.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:31 AM

Last fabric purchase I made was from thrift store - vintage fabric which I will use on back of a quilt. A quilting friend destashed since she only does applique now and I ended up with 2 kits and a bolt of Moda. My stash is huge (lots of yardage and bolts) and I am trying to and use what I have. I purchase stuff like notions, stabilizer, interfacing from JoAnn or Hobby Lobby. LQS are scarce in the area. My home town 85 miles away has 3 LQS and I try to stop in my favorite when I visit family. When visiting my sister in the Portland, OR area, I try to stop at Fabric Depot, especially when there is a sale and always hit the "cheap seats" (clearance). Sale plus the "land of no tax" means I save an additional 10.3% on sales tax.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:12 PM

I guess I have been lucky - every quilt I have given away has been appreciated - some more than I would have expected. I have a large stash and buy mostly online. LQS that I used to go to regularly has downsized and has very little choice - since it is not that close I don't bother to make the trip - might stop in if I was in the area.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM

I buy what I like - doesn't matter which store. I've shopped at LQS, Walmart, Jo-Ann, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin, Marden's (Maine), thrift stores, garage sales, freebie from guild members and sometimes online. If I like it and it is what I need, I buy it. I usually don't buy online (unless I know exactly what I want - brand, color, etc.) because I like to feel the fabric before I buy.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM

I do it all! LQS, Hancock of Paducah online, Fabric. Com. Walmart here has Waverly which is nice, Hobby Lobby for Kona. I have a very large stashthat I dearly love. I am never going to use it all but I am trying though it grows. Friends call and we are off on a road trip to yet another store. Fabric is my passion and I clean out and donate often. I love shopping in my own fabrics.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:56 PM

I put the same time, effort, quality fabrics and care into gift quilts as I do utilitarian quilts.

I've purchased quality fabric from many sources ranging anywhere from the 5&10 of years ago to JoAnn's to the Fabric Shack to on-line to LQS's.....price doesn't always indicate quality .
Old 11-18-2017, 05:29 AM

Quilt fabric here is quite expensive and the few LQS have little choice of variety. I buy always online from the USA I used to buy several shops, some closed or stopped doing international shipping. The last years I buy at www.equilter.com they have many variety of fabrics and good sales. I have certain favorite brands and use those and sometimes others. I look first at colors/prints/designs. I can only mail order below 22 euro small orders if I order more I have to pay extra tax and costs and customs etc.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 AM

I buy from local quilt shops, Joann's and online.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I don't have constraints. I have fabric from JoAnns, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, LQSs, thrift stores, garage sales, and many online vendors. I don't discriminate when making a quilt(like saving the "good stuff" only for special quilts). I see a pattern I want to make and choose the fabrics based on what colors I think will look good, not where the fabrics came from. I don't make show quilts, I make quilts to be used up and worn out no matter how beautiful(or not) they are when I make them. I put the same care and effort into everything I make whether it's for donation or intended to be a future family heirloom.

Cari

I agree why put a Yoke around your neck !!!! If I like it doesn't matter WHO is sell it if the price is right. Why would any quilter who sews for the Love of sewing make one better than the other ????? I make them to share I very seldom sell a quilt?? I have been sewing & quilting for over 64 yrs..Most times I never use a pattern. I draw my quilts our on graph paper then decided what type of block or blocks will go in to the body. That's the way My Grandma & My Maw taught me on a treadle . I sew the same way ... But I learned from a long line of Quilters with More hands on Knowledge ... My Life was Blessed .
Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

there are a lot of replies here and I just couldn't read them all. (still on page 1)
I'm trying to sort out my answer, bc I am an emotional quilter.
I have all kinds of fabric from the chain stores and quilt stores too.
I give thought to who it is for, the amount of care it will receive and if animals are
likely to sleep on it, etc.
I am currently making one of dgd's a quillow, bc it's a Christmas lap and she can "put it
up", aka, fold it into the pillow, so her dogs won't be bedding down on it during the year.
It has lqs panel and both pricey fabrics and "inexpensive" (if there is a such thing now).
I won't put all, really expensive fabrics into a project that I KNOW will not be taken care
of.
So, basically my answer is: the adult quilts probably have a bit more money in them than
the kid quilts. All piecing, quilting etc. gets the same attention, although I do use less
complicated designs for the kids.
I've bought a lot of fabrics over the years to have ppl tell me they are no longer into "those"
colors, ~sigh~
I guess I just can't crank out quilts fast enough to keep up and ppl don't realize how much
money you have spent on them.