Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if >

What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

What is your most useful quilt size, and why, especially if

Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 AM

Minimum is about 50-60 wide and 72-80 long. It all depends upon the size of the blocks. For the same reason as others, it's perfect for the back of the couch.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to be specific when offering to make a quilt for someone.

I was thinking of making a couch/throw size for someone - and the person wanted a king-size that came down to the floor.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-18-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:59 AM

I make pretty much lap sized quilts. I like it when I can use a whole piece of fabric for the back, and not have to piece it. Also, the lap sized quilts are easier for me to manuver for the quilting part.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 AM

I like my throws around 58"w which is enough to cover you and about 82-84"l which is enough to wrap under the feet and pull up under the neck. Of course this varies, I also like them smaller like to just cover my feet and legs when I watch tv and I'm doing something like cutting out new blocks or ripping out ( ) new blocks...lol...!!!
I like my king size quilts to have about a 20-22" drop so whenever either of us turns we don't bare the booty of the other.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Nobody in my family likes lap size and I don't either. We like them bigger to curl up in. I make twin size up to queen, with a king for our bed. I've made 3 for our bed but had them longarmed.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 AM

One of my favorite quilts is just about the size of a full size matress top with no overhang, or 55x75- throw size
Old 11-18-2017, 07:18 AM

My favorite size quilt to make is approx 42x50 or 55. Sometimes they come out a little bigger. If I have flannel, I use that for the backing or else used sheets. I make 20 or so quilts for the children in the head start program at my church. The children come down stairs from their classroom and get to pick one out. That way I get to see where the quilts go and the children are so happy. I don"t get too much feedback afterwards but just seeing the happy faces is enough.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Wow, got lots of ideas from this!

cathy, that volunteer organization for foster kids sounds wonderful. Is it nationwide? I can't do anything like that right now but, once we move, it would be something I would really enjoy (and perhaps my husband too). Our daughter is adopted and we thought about fostering, but just couldn't do it.
I am not physically or financially able to foster, but I understand completely what you
mean about making a quilt and never hearing another thing.
It's perfectly human to wonder who got it and if they were very pleased or it brightened
a sad day.
I need that kind of feedback to spur me on.
I also don't know where to donate for children or abuse shelters without paying
phenomenal amounts at the post office.
I have some fabric that could really go into these projects, but I don't have time
and/or health-energy. I can't even afford to "gift" them through the mail to someone
that would use them for kids. It makes me sad that they just sit there.
I sent a gift pkg. to a friend and had to take one fabric out bc it wouldn't fit into
the mailer and I couldn't afford more than the $7 and change.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 AM

For me, twin size quilts.....they are a great size for snuggling when watching TV
Old 11-18-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
I agree that a cotton backed quilt does not have the soft cuddly feeling that I like in a quilt. I back my quilts with an ultra cuddle fabric I get at Joanne's. I mostly make throw size quilts because I don't like to quilt the larger quilts on my DSM.

When donating quilts, I be sure that the donation satisfies me. Usually they go to organizations that I want to support, (autism fundraiser, domestic abuse shelter, etc).
I like flannel too, it is ultra cuddly