Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you decorate for Christmas? >

When do you decorate for Christmas?

When do you decorate for Christmas?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 PM

My tree is decorated and wrapped in a sheet in a closet...Once Thanksgiving is done it will come out, and an outside wreath will also go up. I put up a manager scene given to me by my mom and that is special here. The tree gets rewrapped and slid back into the closet between Christmas and New Years. Easy Peasy.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 AM

I've thought about doing an artificial tree, but I really love the fresh pine scent and would miss that. On the other hand, it's an expensive mess and hassle to get a real tree, plus I feel just a bit guilty about having a live tree that was chopped down. (I know they're farmed for the purpose, but still.)

Maybe if I did an artificial tree but put up a few real wreaths, I could survive. Hmmm.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I've thought about doing an artificial tree, but I really love the fresh pine scent and would miss that. On the other hand, it's an expensive mess and hassle to get a real tree, plus I feel just a bit guilty about having a live tree that was chopped down. (I know they're farmed for the purpose, but still.)

Maybe if I did an artificial tree but put up a few real wreaths, I could survive. Hmmm.
Friend uses a very realistic looking artificial tree, then uses pine scented candles and spray. Actually fooled some people!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:41 AM

They had Christmas things in some of the stores here before Halloween!

We put up the tree and whatever decoration inside after Thanksgiving and take it down usually sometime after New Years although I've been known to take them down shortly after Christmas if we have a tree that drops needles everytime you walk across the room.

We had an artificial tree for a time but it was huge and such a hassel to assemble and then to try to repackage to store .....and we missed the fresh pine smell. Then for several years we cut our own but that, too, presented some problems as we went as a family and what was a convenient time for some was not for others. So for the last however many years we've purchased them already cut and it's so much simpler. We've also downsized our tree. It use to take me FOREVER to get it all decorated, climbing up a ladder, then , down the ladder to move it another 3" .....and then repeat it all over again to get around the tree ....now I can do it in an evening and reach the top with my feet firmly planted on the ground...... so much more enjoyable.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM

My youngest's birthday is Dec 3rd and we always had the rule that no Christmas until Beth's birthday. I always thought that kids with December birthdays sort of got the short end. And this rule worked out good for me because it took pressure off getting things started. By December 4th, the kids are excited about helping get boxes out of garage and sorting things out! Win, win!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I don't let Christmas infringe on Thanksgiving. Don't listen to Christmas music till Thanksgiving day. We put up a tree after Thanksgiving is over. All the kids are coming for this Thanksgiving, so they may want to go get a tree while they are here, and decorate it. That would be on Black Friday, probably. We don't have any yard decs because we live way off the road, in the woods. Maybe when we get some grandchildren we will do it for them.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
I always start the day or two after Thanksgiving and leave them up till the feast of Epiphany, usually around January 7. I am in a new house this year and cannot WAIT to decorate for Christmas, but am making myself wait till at least Friday. Santa comes at the very end of the Thanksgiving Day parade, so, to me, that is the start of the Christmas season.
Me too! Thanksgiving is always my start to the Christmas season!

I think I like Thanksgiving even more than Christmas because it's like Christmas without all the presents and greed.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
My youngest's birthday is Dec 3rd and we always had the rule that no Christmas until Beth's birthday. I always thought that kids with December birthdays sort of got the short end. And this rule worked out good for me because it took pressure off getting things started. By December 4th, the kids are excited about helping get boxes out of garage and sorting things out! Win, win!

My Grandma's birthday was Dec. 25. So to not have her slighted, we had Birthday Supper with different foods from Christmas Dinner and birthday gifts wrapped in birthday paper. Although it was hard enough to find one gift for her, let alone two, but she always was happy which was the goal.

Friends son's birthday is Dec. 24th so he has a Half-Birthday celebration in July.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Outside lights go up when hubby has the time and the weather is clear, but don't turn on until December. Inside gets decorated whenever--less and less over the years. But Christmas baking and candy making will start the first week of December. I love to give away homemade goodies and some for us too!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM

I put up my tree after my last in-home sewing group meets. This year, I'm going to put it up and just have a cookie & coffee meeting for fun. or cancel all together. I do have a Christmas mantle piece that stays up all year. I love it.