Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas >

Any ideas

Any ideas

Old 11-26-2017, 02:44 PM

I would go with navy, blues, browns and black. If you had some modern prints with music, guitars, etc, or modern prints with motorcycles, cars, etcwould also be fun. Stick it's simple, geometric patterns, nothing "fussy".
Old 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

My daughter and I make quilts for Foster kids. If we don't have a print we just use boy/men colors. Greens, browns,tan,blues camo,leaves. Any pattern works, no flowers or girly colors.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Mike, that quilt is fabulous!!!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 AM

I agree with Jane Quilter, super hero's are in, can't go wrong with that
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

The best quilts I have given my nephews at that age were very large fleece tied quilt from printed fleece of motorcycles, racecars, sports, etc. They are young adults now and still using the tied fleece quilts. I doubled tied the fleece strips and sewed around the edges holding the two layers of fleece together.

I think too many forget that older children are left out on many of the donation quilts because they are usually made for a small child. I quit making small donation quilts. I make throw size or larger. In fact I just made several using a simple pieced top with wide borders. I used the pieced top like the top layer of fleece. I double knotted the cotton top to the fleece. No batting needed.

No quilting needed, The top and fleece stay together like magnets even after years of washing. The top I used for my first one was a Bonnie Hunter pattern, I didn't like it once I got it made but had a lot of work in it. I didn't want to spend any more time quilting and binding it. So I made it a fleece tied quilt.

That quilt I didn't care for has been used every day by someone, even the dog. It's washed at least twice a month.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 PM

Default Boy quilt themes.

I spy. Sew much to think about. I made this one for my grandson

http://my.allpeoplequilt.com/dyn/dyn...epdf/i-spy.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	02EE45B2-0545-4320-9CD2-0D125BB33541.gif
Views:	103
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	584441  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM

The latest MSQC quilt would work well for tween and teen boys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DwuH5fDGzY

If you check the Victoria MQG Blog you will find the HST quilts we made for the Kiwanis Youth Shelter. http://www.mqgvictoria.com/p/hst-charity-project.html

A Jelly Roll Race is quick and the colours will determine if they are boy or girl quilts.

Are you thinking to make lap or bed sized quilts? I love a 5 or 6 foot square lap quilt backed with flannel. They are nice and cozy.

When do you need the quilts for and how many?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:29 AM

I love "bug in a jar" quilts, and that is a good age to enjoy them.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
I spy. Sew much to think about. I made this one for my grandson

http://my.allpeoplequilt.com/dyn/dyn...epdf/i-spy.pdf
I love these magnifying glasses
Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I love these magnifying glasses
I disagree with using "I spy" quilts for boys of this age, even though that's my favorite type of quilt. At this age, they are no longer children, but young adults. Most are into puberty and too old to play, "I spy".

I have a young neighbor that I mentor who is 13. I have met most of his friends, as I oftentimes chauffeur him (and them) to and from football practice, skating, walmart, haircuts, etc. (His mom is very ill.)

He's into 4 wheelers (or anything with a motor on it) computer games, cars, airsoft guns, football, bicycles and girls. His friends seem to have the same interests, but one plays soccer instead of football. One has no sports interest.

Given these are kids you don't personally know, I would do simple "man colored" quilts without a theme. I'm sure they would still appreciate a quilt with a theme, even if it's not their particular interest, though. You just have no way to make a theme quilt personal to their interests.

On the other hand, I've seldom met a boy or man who is not interested in cars.

Just think of them as young men, not children.

bkay

edit: An "I spy quilt" probably would be great IF you didn't call it an "I spy" quilt, but used charms more appropriate to their age. Instead, it could be a "my interests" quilt. Getting the right charms might be a challenge, though. (I hope that made sense.)

Last edited by bkay; 11-28-2017 at 08:02 AM.