Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique questions >
  • Applique questions

• Applique questions

Old 11-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Invisible Machine Applique would work on this project. You use Freezer Paper as your pattern. Turn the edges over & make them stick w/ a dab of glue stick. Then stitch the pieces together/down. Your picture shows a blanket stitch being used. Check out some youtube guides on IMA - I really enjoy it & the results are great.
    Good Luck!
    Donna Mc
    Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 AM

I have been using applique for years, mostly fusible. I recently took a class from Laurie Miller on wool applique. I'm anxious to finish my first piece, it is much easier. No fusing, or needle turning. Love the wool fabric.
    Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 AM

The Piece O' Cake ladies suggest putting the cut out applique piece on some laminate sheeting. This serves in place of tracing the shape on plastic or card stock; the piece is then thick enough to trace around on the fabric.
    Old 11-27-2017, 04:08 PM

I too bought a pattern for applique that said Novice, however it did say for someone who has taken a basic quilt making course which I have not. Well, I sure destroyed some fabric even though I tried to follow their directions. Therefore I am going back to my very old standby book, called " The Sampler Quilt" by Diane Leone which I should have done in the first place. Years ago I made a small quilt top enough to be a cover for my sewing machine. Her book is fantastic. I will be following her directions for an applique block by cutting out the applique pattern on plastic quilting templates. Good luck with your first applique and wish me luck!
    Old 11-27-2017, 06:09 PM

There is NO stupid or simple question! Do not be afraid to ask questions! I wish I had had this group of knowledgeable friends when I was learning back in the day. We are so fortunate to have this group of folks who so selflessly share their accumulated knowledge to help the rest of us.
    Old 11-27-2017, 07:19 PM

I have done quite a bit of applique -- all as baby quilts -- primarily Sunbonnet Sue, some done using purchased applique pieces. I make the machine-stitched raw edge applique pieces. I am still the "Official Rank Amateur" when it comes to making quilts, etc., so I'm not comfortable giving advice. The process is NOT terribly difficult, but it is time consuming. I am working on a quilt now that is applique, and I think it's really going to be a pretty quilt. I'm sure you will find lots of help on this site. Please be sure to post pictures of your projects!