Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you? >

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 AM

Started drinking coffee sometime around 4 or 5 years. Before leaving for school I had what my mother called, "coffee toast" every morning for breakfast.....it was coffee with cream and sugar poured into a shallow bowl that contained hot, buttered toast and, though she never said, would suspect it to be how she started her day as a child.

Drank coffee all my life, at one point up to two pots a day, with no side effects. Can honestly say I was never jittery. Not sure I would say it improved my thinking in any way but it did provide an excuse for me to sit down and rest a bit or think through what the next step in whatever I was doing would be.

As a rule, I don't drink coffee much during the day any more, maybe a cup if I'm out shopping but still have a cup every single morning while checking my computer for the latest news..... and since I can remember, have had a cup just before going to bed every night. Contrary to what others have experienced, it ensures me a deliciously peaceful nights sleep and has for years.

Last edited by Wonnie; 12-11-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 AM

DH or I make a pot of coffee every morning while the mutts are doing their job outdoors. We drink caffeinated black coffee because we like it. Both of us wake up happy and alert so it’s not the caffeine we need. It’s more of a social thing now, relaxing and reading the paper or checking out emails. We hate Starbucks intensely and only drink regular coffee (Folgers, Maxwell House etc) with added flavored coffee to make it mellow. We will drink coffee in the evening occasionally. I come from a long line of coffee drinkers on both sides, I drank it as a child with milk and sugar.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM

I don't know if I need coffee to start the day but my hubby makes me a latte every morning and it gets the body functions working along with the morning water I drink. Sometimes just a warm cup of water or tea is enough.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Not till mid-morning for mu Folgers half-caf. But I have to have my hot tea while looking through the QB!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Coffee is my morning ritual. DH brings me a cup with local only honey when I wake up. It gives me time to make the shift from lights out, nobody home Kelly, to mostly functional, lights getting brighter Kelly. We buy European roast and brew is weak, so we have coffee flavor but no jitters or blood pressure problems. Did you know that the darker the roast or blend, the less caffeine it has? Good to know. Decaffeined coffee is nasty and pointless and should be illegal.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 AM

I grew up in a "coffee/tea free" home. I never saw my parents drink it. When I was old enough to drink coffee/tea it was my choice not to drink it. I've managed 69 years without even tasting it. Years ago I was put in charge of a large fund raising fashion show. Everything seemed to going smoothly until someone asked me where the coffee and tea were! Not fun to be in room of over 200 women all asking for coffee and tea. Another time I was asked to help with the "Coffee/Tea table" at one of our guild meetings. The other lady in charge was really on top it. She said the only thing I needed to bring was cream. No problem---I showed up with whipping cream. Lucky for me someone else had brought the right cream. I've never been asked to help again.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:11 PM

I only drink coffee at home because I dislike any other coffee made any other way. Spartan flavored coffee(Caramel Creme, currently) made in a one cup drip pot. People who drink brewed coffee look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'll wait until I get home. I haven't figured out what roast the one I like is so I can try a plain one. I've given away too many incorrect guesses.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM

I learned to drink coffee at 18 months old because fresh milk was not available and I did not like evaporated milk. I drink 3 large cups of not very strong coffee daily.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 PM

Both my husband and I enjoy coffee in the morning. We like it strong so we drink espresso. I have been doing this since my early teens.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

I absolutely cannot start my day without a cup of coffee (or 2). The last time I took an early am fasting doctors appointment I actually felt sick all that day until the next morning. I don't do mornings so it's like a double whammy. The nurse said a 5 hour fast is all that's necessary so now I make a late afternoon appointment, make sure I eat something with my coffee and skip lunch. Problem solved.