Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-01-2018, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

NZquilter, I like what you have come up with. It does balance out the colors well.

Macybaby, it staggers the mind to see how much you get done! I like your customization, too.

I decided to do a straight setting of 5 blocks by 6 rows... or 7 if 6 seems too short. I will have to make either 5 or 10 more blocks, respectively, and some more sashing. I'm using the chevron sashing and it is crazy busy, but it does add some secondary patterning that I like. So, mine won't have the big pieces of blue setting triangles since it's not on point. I am really liking it so far, and figure I can do some kind of blue border if I need to see more blue.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:06 PM

macybaby, you are making us turtles look bad as you whiz by us. But I can claim that my clue 7 is stitched and pressed, and my first clue 8 is done for a sample:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bonnie clue 8 block.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	570.6 KB
ID:	586414  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 PM

So here's what I have done so far. I chose not to be very scrappy this year. The only thing I may change up is the outer setting triangles....they might be neutral with the blue used as the binding instead. Will have to make that decision later.

Name:	20180101_151140 (1).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	586415   Click image for larger version

Name:	wip.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	586416  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:26 PM

Nice Miss Rita!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Hi all!!
I've been lurking and watching everyone's progress...
Macy, your prolific piecing is amazing!! I especially like the middle pic - it has a very "southwestern" feel to it!!
NZQuilter, I definitely love your alternate setting!!

OK, so last year was my first BHMQ. It is part of my UFO pile.
This year, I had not intended to join the MQ train, but happened to be at Lowes. and picked up the paint chips, and then later discovered a pretty reasonable alternative in my stash - a soft rose instead of the coral, and a slate-y green for the teal/turquoise. And I have a bolt of brown, and Always have plenty of neutrals.
But I was also determined Not to start anything new for right now... so I just followed along, and am liking the patches and pieces and all the different colorways that others have come up with, and right up until clue 9, I'm really liking the settings.
But then... clue 9.
At the risk of sounding "bah, humbug!", that last bit just doesn't do it for me.
It just seems... off somehow, at least to my eyes.

I'm Not dissing Bonnie - I totally understand that she's doing this primarily for those who don't/can't get with family during the holidays, and this is her way of reaching out to ppl like that, so don't jump me. I truly appreciate her intent, plus the fact that this is free, at least if you follow along in time.

But, this layout, at least the last little piece, just makes me tilt my head like a pug-dog. My eyes don't know where to rest.
And I suspect that my fabrics won't play well with this, because I have enough of this stash that mine won't be at all scrappy. Just the one rose fabric, the one green, and the brown and neutral. So, four fabrics. Then again, maybe Just the four will calm this down enough that I like it after all.

With all that said, I'm definitely going to be watching everyone else's alternatives, and maybe borrow some of your ideas.
Maybe.
If I start this one at all.
Since this was (1) all from stash and (2) not even started on the cutting, I haven't lost anything.
Maybe it will grow on me more when I see more "alternative" settings.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2018 at 04:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

I have my first two rows together. I like the extra interest the sashing adds. (Wasn't sure at first...) Love the straight setting. The second photo is something crazy I have that I might use for the back. It matches perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586418[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_3216.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	817.7 KB
ID:	586417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3217.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	586418  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Nice blocks, Jane Quilter and Podunk Princess... keep going!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I have my first two rows together. I like the extra interest the sashing adds. (Wasn't sure at first...) Love the straight setting. The second photo is something crazy I have that I might use for the back.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586418[/ATTACH]
It matches perfectly.
Oh Heck ya!!! That matches perfectly for the backing...!!!
I love it!
Kirsten
Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 PM

Everyone, you are doing great! Honestly, all the wonderful variations are mind blowing. AND, your thought processes on variations are so inventive. I'm not to the point of making a block, or worrying about settings, but I've got to say that I'm seeing a very strong secondary pattern from Sewbizgirl's straight setting. I looked back at Bonnie's layout, and do not see this secondary pattern as strongly. With the sashing, the coral/melon really draws a diagonal box around the squares. Maybe because the value of the blues lean more toward dark? This is the most fun part of these threads, the reveal, the variations, be they color or layout. I'm yearning for more!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Macybaby, that's a great second pattern you've got going there, very cute!
PodunkP, Your colors really bring out the pattern of the brown. Surprising what the change in color looks like.
SBG, I like the shot on the floor. The color of the floor looks really good with your rows. Maybe you could incorporate a light brown blender in your border? That backing fabric is a treat! Maybe lay it out, and see if you like it in a big piece. Would it be too busy to put it with such a busy top? It certainly would be a great print cut into pieces as well. Hard decision there.