Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
quilt for DG >

quilt for DG

quilt for DG

Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Might I suggest orange peel type quilting for your triangles and then something flowing diagonally in the black. I think I'd use red thread if I wanted the quilting to show up. It's not so bright that it will 'take over'. If you want more of a neutral, I like your idea of the gray. I would make sure you could see it on the black, tho.

I've been disappointed before when some lovely quilting didn't show up because I used totally matching thread. It's how we learn!
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM

thank you all for such a valuable advice that you gave me, for the moment I have ordered 'charcoal' thread since the black is not quite solid black, it should work. I am not stressing too much over this since it is for a boy and I know that he will not mind how it will be quilted, it is more for myself.
thank you, again
Old 01-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Have a black quilt which I quilted butterflies in gold thread in alternate blocks. The butterflies sing on that quilt!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:05 PM

to gain that triangle motif from your half sq. triangles in the black, how about dividing into big triangles and using straight lines to stitch several triangles inside themselves. Glad you nixed idea of variegated--it gives you other designs but without you really having control. I like the idea of orange peels in the half-sq. triangles.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 PM

Very nice!
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 AM

Terrific quilt - I like the black on black idea for your thread - that keeps it simple, and the design is what will shine.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM

That is a really pretty quilt. I made one using those colors that was a Craftsy kit called Night Stars. The colors look very similar and it too had a black background. I had it long-arm quilted and we used a bright neon green color with a star pattern. It turned out beautiful! I loved the neon and the bright green really made the quilting show up well on the black especially. You might make a small quilt sandwich with some scraps and try the neon green. I think you would really like it. Good luck with your finish!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 PM
Power Poster

Lovely. BrendaK
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Love your quilt and would love to see it finished. I love the way the color pop off the black.

I did this quilt some years back and my LAQer used varigated thread. The back of the quilt is Black batik and the thread color was purple. I just love the movement of the quilting pattern.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587605[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]587606[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	diamonds.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	587605   Click image for larger version

Name:	close up.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	587606  
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 AM

thank you all for your suggestions, for the moment I am waiting for the backing fabric. I got the charcoal thread, and I did try it on a small sample and I do not like it, so either it will be black, that I a still need to purchase (anyone would like a cone of charcoal threads?), or will give it a try with a variegated thread. I wish that I had a local place to buy it. will wait until we do some travel to stop at Q stores.