2017 Temperature Quilt

Old 01-10-2018, 03:16 PM

pchp your plan is almost the same as mine. I'm guessing you have Fahrenheit temp, we have celcius so I'm having about 45 colours and i'm going to do the highs and lows separate and sew the finished ones back to back.

red stilettoes yws we have a hood climate here on the west coast of Australia. Never any freezing days and only about 15 days in summer that go over 45C. Air conditioners are good
Old 01-10-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Rob I love the quilt you made. Of course, I am always a sucker for hst.

Can I ask how you laid it out with the highs and low temps?
Thanks, redstilettos. The column farthest to the left is January highs, the column next to it is January lows, then Feb highs , then Feb lows, etc. so each month has two columns. The rows are the individual days. I used a white triangle as a place keeper at the end of those mo ths that did not have 31 days. So if you look from left to right across the top row, the 1st colored triangle represents the high for Jan.1, the next colored triangle is the low for Jan. 1, the next is high for Feb 1 etc.

Rob
Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM

That looks good mfay! I really like the layout you used!

Rob
Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 AM

Thanks for explaining your layout Rob. It always intrigued me how you worked it out and the black really brings it out. I just did month by month and QAYG.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM

m-fay, yes I'm working with Fahrenheit. I like that you're doing a different fabric for each degree Celsius. I started assembling mine yesterday and hope to post a picture on the weekend.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 PM

I love this idea, Imanna. I'm going to start it this week. I'll just check back two weeks for the beginning. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586854[/ATTACH]Just finished sewing on the binding. Now to start on 2018's I'm going to keep the highs and lows separate this time and a greater range of colours.
m-fay, I love that I can read the months and temps in your quilt. It is a wonderful interpretation of a temperature quilt.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM

is anyone going to do one for 2018? I have started one. Its going to be simple...2 1/2" squares. 19 days across, then start the next row.and it will be 20 rows deep a white square at the end of each month. ! side of the finished quilt will be maximums and the back will be minimums. Also it will be celsius so a different fabric for each degree. Oc ...50C we never have below 0C where I live and we've never reached 50C.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM

Sort of . How about a do-over of 2017 in 2018?

Word to the wise - be very careful to not change your 1/4" seam measurement, thread weight, etc. over the course of the year. I apparently was not as careful as I thought.
-I guess any time I was sitting down to sew a few more days into the rest of the quilt...my posture might have been different which could have thrown off my alignment for my seam allowances.
- I recall trying a few different seam guidance methodologies over the course of the year. I thought they were all perfectly 1/4"...at the time
- I used whatever thread was in the machine when it was time to sew some squares together.

When sewing my rows together my seam allowances all seemed to line up ok vertically as the year was going along (with a little fiddling of the fabric). Bottom line - when I went to sandwich my temperature quilts and precipitation quilt they were all VERY wonky width wise. I tried stretching the heck out of them and pinning them and basting them to make them more close to square but to no avail.

I discussed my issue with a friend who was also making a temperature quilt and she had the same issue. The difference is she considers hers good enough for her to move forward and finish it. Me....not so much. I lean more towards being a perfectionist so I am remaking mine. Yes, all 3 of them. <SIGH> Luckily they are wall hangings so definitely on the small side. Luckily I recorded all my temperatures and precipitation levels as the year was going along so I don't need to look them all up again. I can already see that everything is looking a LOT more square.

I have been quilting too long to make these kinds of mistakes. Stupid, stupid, stupid.But you know what - a lesson well learned. I KNOW I will never make those mistakes again....and now my cute, cuddly, awesome dog gets a new quilt for her doggie bed.

Last edited by lmanna; 01-21-2018 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM

Here's a pic of first rows for my 2018 onr[ATTACH=CONFIG]587530[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	587530