Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Applique Question >

Hand Applique Question

Hand Applique Question

Old 02-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Hand Applique Question

Does everyone was their fabrics before they do hand applique? I am concerned about the little bitty pieces as I don't usually wash fabrics before they are made into a quilt. Wanted your expert opinions. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:46 AM

You will find both washers and non washers here! I wash everything before use. I do it because of the "smell", possible chemicals, where fabric was acquired from, will the dye run or fade, or will it shrink when dried. I do applique, so the pieces are cut from clean, pressed, ironed, starched etc fabric.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM

I think it would depend on how you're attaching your appliqued pieces. If you're using hand-turn applique and sewing them down with small stitches then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're just gluing them down I would be concerned that any shrinking would loosen them from the background.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM

I didn’t when I first began appliqué as I didn’t know that it was recommended. Now, everything gets washed in case of shrinkage, and only then are the actual shapes cut out.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Yes, I wash everything. I wash the fabric and the backing and I also, put 10 wet wash cloths in with the batting and put in my dryer fuzzy balls to get batting fluffed and it does shrink and it works great for me. Every 10 minutes (in one hour) and shake out the batting and put the wet cloths and the dryer balls back in the dryer, and it does shrink the batting but so the materials have already been washed and dried to shrink them and put the dryer balls with them, too. The materials are by only in the dryer, then only the backing in the dryer, and then the batting is completed in the dryer. Hope this helps.

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 02-01-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-01-2018, 02:48 PM

QuiltingHaven, thank you for describing this process for shrinking batting. I'm going to try it! (Where do you buy dryer balls, and what are they made of?).

To answer the original question, I would wash any applique fabric before cutting it into pieces.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
You will find both washers and non washers here! I wash everything before use. I do it because of the "smell", possible chemicals, where fabric was acquired from, will the dye run or fade, or will it shrink when dried. I do applique, so the pieces are cut from clean, pressed, ironed, starched etc fabric.
What I do, too.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

I got some wool dryer balls on Etsy.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. The material is in the washer as I type this response. I almost never wash fabric before piecing and so far, so good. But I thought this would be better floated by the experts, because the instructions say to do so.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I don't wash small pieces but I do wash fat quarters and up if they are strong colours. If I am going to put all the work into needle turn applique, I don't want my reds, purples, dk. greens etc. to bleed into the background when washed.