Microsoft Windows Scam

Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 AM

I have gotten this call a few times and each time I pretend that I think he is talking about replacement windows for my house ...then I proceed to tell him in great detail about my experiences in getting replacement windows and all the problems I have had. Why not aggravate this caller....he sure is aggravating me!!
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 AM

The latest scam I am getting is an email stating my invoice is there and to go to that and pay. If you notice they never know your name.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM
mac

I have gotten a great many of these annoying calls. Anything from me being sued and my wages are going to be garnished to my computer made a call and said that it needed help and even the IRS garnishing my wages. These would be all laughable, if they weren't so annoying. Sometimes they will call several times in one day. Just yesterday I received about 7 phone calls that were either dead air or recordings for whatever or scammers.

A friend of mine, fell for one of the computer calls that said her computer needed help. She paid them $350 and then they 'fixed' her computer. They fixed her computer alright. When they got through with fixing it, the computer crashed. She had to call the Dell company for them to fix it and it cost her cost her another $400 to undo the mess the scammers made of her computer. She contacted her credit card and they stopped payment of the original charge from the scammers. But, she was still out $400 to have the computer fixed.

Unfortunately, I don't have caller ID and since the telephone ringing really bothers my husband, we answer all our phone calls. Sometimes I feel a little mischievous and enjoying 'playing' with these scammers to antagonize them, but mostly I find them a royal pain in the...
Old 02-23-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I am concerned with elderly people who may get easily confused and then get taken by these charlatans. My Aunt had dementia and would have been a perfect candidate for this nonsense.
This is so true. I believe some of these [bleeps] deliberately target older people because they have more success with them. These days you can google names and some of the web searches will reveal the person's age. I don't see why anyone needs to know.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:12 PM

I got a "Courtesy" call that there was a warrant out for my arrest for a failure to appear. My response was where did I fail to appear? Jury Duty - really? I served earlier in the year - oh, this was for a Grand Jury - well I never got a notice. After a bit of talking and he was trying to convince me that I needed to go to a Kiosk and pay bail - really a kiosk? why not the court house? This fellow had an answer for everything, the conversation was quite comical. He even called me back to try again, and I asked him just where was he calling from? The Chula Vista Police Dept.on 4th Avenue, do I know where that is? Yes, I know where it is my DH has worked for the City for 30+ years. Suddenly he reminds me that he has not asked for any money or any SS numbers or anything else - that was true he had not - and that it was just a courtesy call - okay, but then I asked him if he was calling from the Police Dept. why did it show that I was getting a call from Justin.... and the number not related to the police dept? Suddenly he had to get off the phone and hung up.
I did call CVPD just to make sure and the lady almost fell off her chair laughing. First of all - they do not call to warn someone there is a warrant and second - there is no "Grand Jury" in the south bay - there is only a federal Grand Jury and they do not work with CVPD. Since I told the person I had his phone number she was sure it was changed the minute he hung up.

My sister said I probably cost the guy a lot of time - not sure how long we talked but it was a while since I didn't believe him. My regret was not asking him if his mother knows that he does this for a living.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:45 PM

My mom, in her 80’s just can’t let the phone answering machine pick up. She says she hangs up if she doesn’t want to talk to them. But she had someone come and tell her she needed a new roof. I said if she didn’t answer the phone she wouldn’t be bothered by them. Today I told her to let the machine pick up (in her bedroom) while she is in living rooom. Then she can walk into bedroom, getting a little exercise. I keep telling her that if it is someone who wants to talk to her(friend/family) they will leave a message, or she will hear who it is and can pick up as soon as she hears them. But, she forgets,and answers anyway. I just don’t answer my phone unless I know who it is (no caller ID, I listen for who it is). Sigh, don’t want to get older and be like that, but will take it one day at a time.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I got a "Courtesy" call that there was a warrant out for my arrest for a failure to appear. My response was where did I fail to appear? Jury Duty - really? I served earlier in the year - oh, this was for a Grand Jury - well I never got a notice. After a bit of talking and he was trying to convince me that I needed to go to a Kiosk and pay bail - really a kiosk? why not the court house? This fellow had an answer for everything, the conversation was quite comical. He even called me back to try again, and I asked him just where was he calling from? The Chula Vista Police Dept.on 4th Avenue, do I know where that is? Yes, I know where it is my DH has worked for the City for 30+ years. Suddenly he reminds me that he has not asked for any money or any SS numbers or anything else - that was true he had not - and that it was just a courtesy call - okay, but then I asked him if he was calling from the Police Dept. why did it show that I was getting a call from Justin.... and the number not related to the police dept? Suddenly he had to get off the phone and hung up.
I did call CVPD just to make sure and the lady almost fell off her chair laughing. First of all - they do not call to warn someone there is a warrant and second - there is no "Grand Jury" in the south bay - there is only a federal Grand Jury and they do not work with CVPD. Since I told the person I had his phone number she was sure it was changed the minute he hung up.

My sister said I probably cost the guy a lot of time - not sure how long we talked but it was a while since I didn't believe him. My regret was not asking him if his mother knows that he does this for a living.
That's the idea - waste their time. Cut down on the number of other people they can try to scam.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Quiltingcandy, that was hilarious. I was laughing out loud and read it to my husband so he could crack up as well. Thanks for sharing!!!!!