Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Choosing flooring for my sewing room >

Choosing flooring for my sewing room

Choosing flooring for my sewing room

Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 AM

I have read this with interest because we are getting ready to replace flooring in our home. I have kind of resisted tile due to the "hard" factor. Even laminate is hard on my bony old feet. I prefer carpet, but with a dog and an outdoorsy kind of DH, we track in lots of dirt and leaves, etc.
So the vinyl wood-look flooring interests me. Both my sons used to lay tile for a living, and I know they would kind of turn up their noses at vinyl flooring. Not out loud, but would be a little prejudiced against it. They have their reasons for preferring the real stuff, for a variety of things that make sense, but, still....
But it is my floor, and I am not too worried about sale appeal if we ever decide to sell it.
So, thanks for the discussion!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM

I have self stick vinyl planks and have no marks or dents after five years, but I really don't like the seams. I would go with the rigid vinyl planks that lock together.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Thanks to all of you so much for your thoughtful suggestions.
After much discussion with dh, we have decided to go with hardwood.
We will match the other hardwood he already laid on the first floor.
More work on his part, but he is very willing to do it. And I know it will look great
I think I will buy either a sisal or indoor/outdoor rug to place beneath my rolling chairs.
I will try to remember to post before and after pics too!

Thanks again so much for weighing in
Old 02-28-2018, 11:47 AM

What about a ceramic tile floor? Easy to sweep, needs occasional mopping, and you can have the heating elements installed under them so you can be cozy in the winter That is especially helpful if the room is on the ground floor and no basement below. You can put area rugs over tiles in parts of the room, too.

I have manufactured wood floors in my home. They do dent/mark when something is rolled over them, especially if it is done repeatedly. The points on the floor mats leave marks in them, too.

Have fun re-inventing the room for you!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 PM

We have vinyl planking (the click kind) in our downstairs studio. Have never had trouble with scratching and there is no need for a chair mat. I liked it so much, I bought enough for my bathroom and my bedroom (replaced the carpet which was hard to maintain due to dog hair). We had laminate in the studio but it was destroyed when the uphill neighbor's water main was compromised and our downstairs was waterlogged. Vinyl planking can be taken out dried off and put back. Also easy to clean - dust mop works best in the studio.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:53 PM

Another vote for Allure vinyl planks. We put it in the bathroom a decade ago and other than in front of the kitchen sink, I think the floor in front of the bathroom sink sees the most wear and tear. There is no wear at all. It is what I will put down in my basement when I renovate it in a couple years. I would not put a chair mat on it. There is no need.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
I have read this with interest because we are getting ready to replace flooring in our home. I have kind of resisted tile due to the "hard" factor. Even laminate is hard on my bony old feet. I prefer carpet, but with a dog and an outdoorsy kind of DH, we track in lots of dirt and leaves, etc.
So the vinyl wood-look flooring interests me. Both my sons used to lay tile for a living, and I know they would kind of turn up their noses at vinyl flooring. Not out loud, but would be a little prejudiced against it. They have their reasons for preferring the real stuff, for a variety of things that make sense, but, still....
But it is my floor, and I am not too worried about sale appeal if we ever decide to sell it.
So, thanks for the discussion!
I hear what you're saying about your sons turning up nose to vinyl--felt the same way and almost got ceramic tile--but way more expensive (don't have tile layers in our family!), felt so hard and cold, and I really did not want to deal with grout. Check out the vinyl click together panels--ours our 12x24", look like stone (although other ones look like wood), and have some "give" so that not so hard. also, it was easy to lay and we didn't have to have lots of prep done when they took out carpet in one room and ceramic tile in the entry. Our very picky dog even likes it! Plus I like the warranty! (both Lowe's & Home Depot carry and other places too)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 AM

You mentioned the carpet tiles. Tongue in cheek suggestion--since this is for your sewing room, you could create a design of your favorite block on the floor??!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:56 AM

I used peel and stick for my sewing room floor, and I use a piece of linoleum from the hardware store for the mat under my rolling chair. Works great for me. Easy to sweep and yes, I even have to mop once in awhile.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Janelle, my sis had vinyl flooring put in last year and she absolutely loves it!! So easy to care for. Good luck whatever you do!