What's your secret?

Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 AM

This sounds like a set-up to hurt (willfully or accidentally) others. I don't play.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:39 AM

It is sad that someone would shun another because of their religion or the sexual preference of their child. Apparently these individuals do not know what a real friendship is and no one needs individuals that are so judgmental in their life.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 AM

Why would anyone need to know I've been pregnant 12 times - 5 live births, 2 stillbirths and 6 miscarriages? Doesn't add up?? One was a twin pregnancy. I have five wonderful children and that's what counts. A secret? Not much. What you see is what you get. I'd just pass.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:26 PM

My first husband was killed in Vietnam. I was 17 and newly pregnant at the time. I went into a deep depression and miscarried. When the insurance payment came for his death, I gave it to his parents in its totality and left my home state because I could not bear living there. I lived alone like a zombie for 5 years studying to get my degree and working when I wasn't in school or at the library. I had no friends and lived in a small room in a rooming house. When I returned to my home state my in-laws refused to see me and accused me of having an abortion. I left again and have never returned home. I never told my second husband about my first and he was totally surprised when my sister mentioned it in passing. We divorced because he thought it was an unpardonable omission even though I never claimed I had not had another relationship.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have excellent memory of what others say and most of what I read. I can tell you exactly what the guild member said when she won the prize basket years ago. LOL I base my first impression of others on what they say because I will never forget it. I am very generous. I think the more you give when you can, you will receive twice over.
I have this talent (curse) too. I do believe that the more you give the less you need and the more you receive. I also believe in the theory of 'Enough.'
Old 03-28-2018, 01:03 PM

I'm going to wait and see what facebook says is my secret. I'll know by the sidebar ads
Old 03-28-2018, 01:12 PM

Wow, by reading everyone's 'secret' I realize that I lead a boring life. I applaud you.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
To my mind this game isn't "tell us a secret about yourself" but "tell us something that most people don't know." Things like I'm ambidextrous or I've lived in both Alaska and Hawaii or I can wiggle my nose like a rabbit. None of those are the kind of "secrets" that I would be embarrassed to tell.
Exactly! I am a trainer and we use a version of this for an ice-breaker. I always say, "please share something fun you like to do or something interesting about yourself, whatever you are comfortable with." And the trainer always goes first to set the tone. I share things like "I am a quilter." or "My family and I camp in the Redwoods."
I make it clear we are not after "secrets" but hoping to spark conversation and bonding of the group.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:26 AM
mac

I can understand why some people would not want to participate in this interesting little pastime, but, I am sure it is meant to be interesting and fun. Not hurtful or prying into others life.

Sometimes I think we take our experiences for granted and don't think twice about what we have done, experienced or accomplished. I lead pretty much a very boring life and it is interesting to me to hear other things that people have done or seen. One of the things that I do when I am in a group of people that I don't know is ask everyone a quirky question that is a 'little out there' as an ice-breaker. When a say a group of people, I mean a circumstance where everyone is sitting at a table where no one knows anyone and there is that awkward silence. It gets people talking or laughing at such an inane, ridiculous question. It loosens the tension and people have a starting place to start to interact with each other.

I like to travel by train. When you eat a meal in the dining car you are seated at a table with other strangers. I don't know about you all out there, but I like to have conversation while I enjoy my meal. From my experience in the past everyone usually introduces themselves and conversation goes from there. However, this particular time, no one said anything and there was an awkward silence as we were eating our dinner. So, I asked if anyone had ever seen a ghost or seen a flying saucer. I just got stares from the other three people. Finally, one of the guys started laughing and from there on the conversation took a funny turn and it turned out to be a very enjoyable meal.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM

mac, I like your approach! We did a train trip a couple of years ago and I know exactly what you mean. You can meet some interesting folks, but you'll never know if you don't try to get a conversation going.