A collectors estate sale

Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM

I would not like to be the one who has to dust all that.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:16 PM
mac

Absolutely amazing. It was probably a nightmare for the people setting up the estate sale, but think what fun it would be to go through all of that as a customer. WOW!
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 AM

Most things looked clean - amazing lot of "stuff".
Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 AM

I see many things I own sewing related. This will be my house when the time comes for sure, except there will be loads of fabric as well. LOL
Old 04-15-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
My gosh!!! Wonder if they were hoarders with all that 'stuff'. Kinda scary - - -
Just because you actually own "stuff" doesn't make you a hoarder. Many people enjoy collecting and displaying their collections. I think too many people label others when they don't really understand the labels they are using.

You have to realize that for an estate sale, they bunch everything together to get as much as they can in every picture. It's likely that the collection was displayed in a large home and looked gorgeous. This is Texas after all. Like everything else, houses are big.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 04-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 AM

I agree, Patrice. As I understand it, hoarding is the inability to dispose of anything. Hoarders don't collect, they keep. They don't collect things they love and enjoy, they just find it impossible to part with anything. They keep old newspapers, empty cans, used paper towels, broken tools, etc. It's usually a form of OCD.

Fugen Neziroglu, PhD, ABBP, ABPP, who is the Director of the Bio-Behavioral Institute, in Great Neck, New York says on the Anxiety and Depression Association website, "Hoarding is not the same as collecting. In general, collectors have a sense of pride about their possessions and they experience joy in displaying and talking about them. They usually keep their collection organized, feel satisfaction when adding to it, and budget their time and money.

Those who hoard usually experience embarrassment about their possessions and feel uncomfortable when others see them. They have clutter, often at the expense of livable space, feel sad or ashamed after acquiring additional items, and they are often in debt."

bkay
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM

Well said, bkay.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Looking at all that stuff makes me nervous!
I'm definitely into minimalism and my kids will be glad someday.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM

My BIL was here this afternoon and came to visit me in my "building", which is a nice, air conditioned building full of sewing machines, sewing machine cabinets and "stuff" that's too good to throw away or we want to keep. I told him I had to get rid of some of this stuff, that it was bothering me. He said his wife was the same way. Stuff bothers her. He can't seem to get rid of anything.

I think we all have different levels of tolerance to disorder.

bkay
Old 04-15-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Absolutely amazing. It was probably a nightmare for the people setting up the estate sale, but think what fun it would be to go through all of that as a customer. WOW!
That's why I didn't go. I know I would not have come home empty handed. I'm working on getting rid of stuff and that wouldn't help me get there.

If Leon had wanted the Gritzner hand crank, I would have gone to check it out. But, he didn't say he did, so that saved me from bringing anything else home.

bkay