Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... >

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

Old 04-17-2018, 10:11 AM

I organized a quilting event at my local church for ladies that never quilted before, for donates to Project Linus. After a brief lesson, the ladies went home to work on their quilts. A few were used to clothing sewing and didn't pay attention to the 1/4" rule. The quilts were fine. They were patched with perfect 5/8" seams and were fine... beautiful and everybody enjoyed themselves. A few learned more and became "quilters" using 1/4" seams. And Project Linus received 28 quilts. Everybody won! Boo to any quilt police!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM

The Only quilt police comment I will adhere to is this one: "Please don't touch the quilts" - usually spoken nicely at quilt shows.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Sprice....I totally understand about the guild. Another thing I don't do, I don't talk about my quilting to anyone. I do my own thing and if I need advice I will come here. LOL
Old 04-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
I think Quilt Police hurt.
And I've been hurt by quilt police too. So I refussed to read this thread until today. Sometimes I'm slow at understanding I need to review myself.

I've put my foot in mouth many times. I'm learning to think before speaking. So, with that in mind, I've seen abuse described as anything that denies the character of a person, such as, "you should be finished grieving my now." It follows that quilt police are abusive and should be avoided.

Last edited by petthefabric; 04-17-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: bible quotes are not permitted
Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Yesterday, at a group sewing session, a woman said she'd looked for 5 yrs to find a group where she felt welcome. She was very happy she'd finally found one.

So to me quilt police are exclusive, not enclusive. Discouraging rather than encouraging.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Our art quilting group made a composite quilt of an old victorian house. All seven of us made a strip and we combined them. It's beautiful. It was entered into a juried and judged show in "group quilt" catagory. The 1st place was hung next to our 2nd place quilt. It was a traditional non-artistic quilt. Our quilt had lots of viewers and it had none. Our ladies were appalled that the plain quilt had won. And blamed it on nepetism. I interupted saying, it won on technique. Quilt shows are judged ~95% on technique. I think that's quilt police talk and we asked for it by entering it in the show. I no longer enter in quilt shows. Now I enter in art shows.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I know I have said something to the effect of "putting those colors together" but it's been a compliment! I tend to not be very adventurous with color so it really is a good thing when I say it!
I think with that phrase, it all depends on the tone.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 PM

“Why would you charge so much for a quilt? There can’t be more the $50 of fabric in one”

“Stupid is as stupid does” - Forrest Gump
Old 06-27-2018, 08:07 AM

"Quilt Police" is yet another way to see into someone's core. If they are mean-spirited, they seek and point out your mistakes, making sure they let you know there's a mistake. They will pass their judgement on your choice of colors because their opinion is the only one that counts.

But, if they are what a "true quilter" is (generous, loving, compassionate), they will marvel at the beauty of your creation, congratulate you on the completion, and encourage you to make more. Any additional comments are then given as constructive instruction to inspire you to continue enjoying your passion.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM

If the Quilt Police stop by to see me I respond with "There is a humility block built in this quilt." A mistake or error purposely included.