Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Had to laugh about the junk mail I just got...... >

Had to laugh about the junk mail I just got......

Had to laugh about the junk mail I just got......

Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 AM

The phone calls are what get me. Somebody from the far reaches of India call to say that Microsoft told them to call to tell me that something was way wrong with my computer and only they could fix it. Some days I'd get three or four calls... some from India, some from an Arab country, etc. I told them I died, I told them I was senile and they'd have to call my son, I finally told them I threw away my computer... That one got a strange answer..."run out and get your computer out of the garbage can and they'll fix it!" I told them it was already picked up. They said, "Buy a new one. We'll call back and we'll fix the new one!" Yikes!!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
And then there are the notices in the newspaper of unclaimed property, complete with name and address. If they have the addresses, why don't they send a letter directly to the person??
I deal with abandoned property (aka unclaimed funds) at my work. By law the payer has to perform due diligence in trying to track down the person before turning the funds over to the state. Often, the address the payer has is not the current address for the payee and mail forwarding service has long since expired (because funds aren't considered abandoned property until 3 years have passed for some states, other states it is 5 years) so the only way they can fulfill the due diligence requirement is to place an ad in the paper utilizing the last known address of the payee (recipient). Interestingly enough, my work has turned to facebook to try and find some of these people and we have been successful. Everyone should check their state's unclaimed funds website to see if they have something out there. And don't forget to check states you used to live in and your maiden name as well as your married name. This is a free service and every state has a website. They may call it unclaimed funds or abandoned property and it is usually run by your state Comptroller's office. Usually the amount won't be published on the state site and you will have to provide proof to the state for your claim on the funds. The company that sent Chasing Hawk the junk mail letter are preying on people who don't realize they can do their own detective work and not pay a cent.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-19-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:57 AM

That was better than the two calls I got last week telling me they had an arrest warrant with my name on it. I just send them to the answering machine. Strange I never see anyone at my door with them. I also have them wanting to fix my computer them when I ask which one, the one on my washer or dryer, they hang up.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by palmetto girl View Post
That was better than the two calls I got last week telling me they had an arrest warrant with my name on it. I just send them to the answering machine. Strange I never see anyone at my door with them. I also have them wanting to fix my computer them when I ask which one, the one on my washer or dryer, they hang up.
I'm a neighbor of yours (Charlotte, NC). There's one going around here that says "your grandson has been arrested in (whatever city) on a driving ticket and needs for you to sent bail money." They have the name, lic. # and home address. The people that get the calls race around to follow the instructions and send the $$ before they call the grandson and find out that he's home and has no idea what you're talking about. Not my experience... no grandsons.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by marymay View Post
I found out by going to a Tractor store the have the best horse shampoo that removes spots from everything. so don't knock a farm store. Not only tractors. :-)
Is it "Mane and Tail"? It's my favorite shampoo. Been using it for years! Seriously, the best shampoo around. The human kinds make my hair like Albert Einstein's. LOL And, it's cheap!
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by palmetto girl View Post
That was better than the two calls I got last week telling me they had an arrest warrant with my name on it. I just send them to the answering machine. Strange I never see anyone at my door with them.
I got one of those once. Guy with a heavy Indian accent said "This is the IRS and if you don't pay the $5,000 back taxes that you owe, there will be a federal agent at your door in 2 hours!" And here he named a federal agency that not only does not have arrest powers, but one that DH worked for. So I said, "A federal agent? There's one sitting across the room from me. Would you like to speak to him?" And he hung up in microseconds

Last edited by IceLeopard; 04-19-2018 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Fixed quote function
Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Most of the time, I resent being tracked and baited, but I did benefit ONCE! My recent experience ended up quite positive. I went to Craftsy to research joining their Unlimited subscription service. I visited several times trying to read as much as I could about how it works and how to use it with my Roku. Finally, Craftsy sent me a $50 offer for a gift certificate if I would purchase an annual membership. Yes! I joined right away and got the nice certificate included which overcame all my objections. Usually, tracking what I look at and sending me "come-ons" is a an aggravation but this ONE time, I was thrilled.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
The phone calls are what get me. Somebody from the far reaches of India call to say that Microsoft told them to call to tell me that something was way wrong with my computer and only they could fix it. Some days I'd get three or four calls... some from India, some from an Arab country, etc. I told them I died, I told them I was senile and they'd have to call my son, I finally told them I threw away my computer... That one got a strange answer..."run out and get your computer out of the garbage can and they'll fix it!" I told them it was already picked up. They said, "Buy a new one. We'll call back and we'll fix the new one!" Yikes!!
Too funny! Last time "Microsoft" called I asked if they wanted to speak to the FBI agent standing next to me investigating the last time you called. They hung up and of course there was NO FBI guy ........lol

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 04-19-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Last night I answered the cell phone (first time it has rung in days) and it was a scam call!

They wanted to fix my credit card debt and that this was the last "courtesy" call I will ever get. So I pressed "1" and spoke to some guy who thanked me for talking to their company.

I told him I had no credit cards, didn't want any and taking me off the "Last courtesy call list" He asked in disbelief "You don't have any? No Visa, no Mastercard?" I said, "No, credit cards are the devil's work." He hung up........was it something I said?.......haha
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 AM

I've gotten two calls that are still on my answering machine telling me they found tax fraud and they're coming to get me. The last one said I was going to jail. I haven't deleted them because every once in a while I need a good laugh.