Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW >

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Sylvia Bridal Sampler BOW

Old 04-27-2018, 06:43 AM

I have 9 living siblings plus 10 in laws
Then 29 nieces and nephews (youngest is a teenager now) plus 13 spouses
and so far, 26 grand nieces and nephews, and that number is growing.

That is 87 people if I count the spouses, and 64 without.

And that is my side! Though I've already given about 10 of them. Have not seen anyone for two years so the quilts have piled up.

I'm making labels that say "In memory of . . ." and using fabric from shirts that my Mom and Dad wore . With this many people, I didn't have enough garments to make traditional memory quilts even for the direct children. My Mom loved shirts with some embellishment, so I fussy cut them in circles. Dad wore plaids, so I cut them into squares to make 9 patch blocks. Each label has a 9 patch with a overlapping circle. When my youngest sister got her's, she cried because she remembered Mom wearing the shirt. She told me afterwards that when ever someone came over, her DH had to take them into the bedroom to show off the quilt, he was very proud to have it.

But it gets real easy on my husband's side (only child) - there is only his father, and he got a quilt a few years ago.

My DD and DS would gladly take any quilt I'd give them. They both each have one and would like more. No grandkids in the picture, and the prospects of having them some day are not real good.

I also make quilts for non-family members, probably about 10 of them to date also.

Though I've been sewing all my life, I didn't get into making quilts until after my Dad was gone and my Mom was in her final stages - 2014. The first quilt I made at that time was a mystery lap quilt a gave to my Mom. She liked to run her hands over it to feel the texture and pick at the bumps. Wish I'd have known about fidget quilts back then. I got the quilt back after she passed, and use it in my office (it's sitting right next to me).

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-27-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:20 AM

Macybaby - I am amazed at the number of quilts, and the type you produce, if you only took up quilting in 2014. Wow!
Old 04-27-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPea View Post
Macybaby - I am amazed at the number of quilts, and the type you produce, if you only took up quilting in 2014. Wow!
I can only echo this!!! Amazing!!

I started quilting in 2010 and I wish I would have known earlier. I would have made my Mom a few, I'm sure she would have loved them. I made one to honor her, I'm using it now and one day it's going to live with my granddaughter.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Anael, thanks for keeping this going and hope you get your 365 done. That was what derailed my Sylvia. I did not really know how to paper piece when I started Sylvia, so it went slow. My regular piecing got better with 365. I think I said earlier I have finished all the Sylvia blocks. There is currently a quilt on my design wall that is being quilted, 1/3 down 2/3 to go. Sylvia is scheduled to go up next in June when we quit traveling.

DonnaPea, beautiful blocks.

Macybaby, WoW. All those quilts. Use to make quilts with someone in mind now I make the ones I like. I have done several quilts that have more blocks because it takes longer also.

Last edited by giquilt; 04-27-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2018, 05:09 AM

the stack of quilts I have don't have labels yet. I didn't make them for anyone in particular. I'm going to post pictures of them on the family group and let them decide what they want. First dibs to siblings. Once I know who wants what, I'll put the label on them. For my sibs, it says "loving memory of Mom and Dad" and for the rest it says Grandpa and Grandma.

I much prefer to make what I feel like making too.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 AM

Hello ladies,

Donna Pea, A couple more great blocks. Your going to be a piecing pro when you finish all these blocks. Looks like you are having fun. I love all your scrappy fabrics. They will be perfect in this quilt.

Anael, Your Fairy quilt is just darling. I am in awe or your embroidery blocks. And, it is no mean feat to get all those things to line up. Embroidery machines are challenging to work with. (What with the specialty threads and stabalizers and computer patterns.) I have heard of the work that goes into these quilt blocks. So, seeing yours come together so quickly is nothing short of a miracle. You must really enjoy working with these type quilts.

Macybaby, omg, you are a piecing and quilting maniac. It is clear that you found a kinship with quilting. I am enjoying seeing all the different type quilts you are making. I have been quilting a little longer then you and find, I am no where near your skill level. But, that's okay, I too enjoy this craft on a simpler level. That's why I enjoy seeing your quilts so much. They inspire me to try even more then I do now. (Although, right now, I find, I just really want to finish all the UFO's I have sitting around.) I find I am a much better starter then finisher. That's my primary goal to get all my unfinished objects into quilt tops ready for quilting. I did, send 4 out to a LA quilter so far. I am working on 2 more to send out. But, the list is longer then I care to admit. It might scare me and I will be derailed from my progress. lol

Teen, I did find a machine. It is just a simple "New Home" machine put out by Janome. It will primarily become my applique machine when I get the machine I really want. After seeing Macybaby's Juki in one or her photos, I got to researching a Juki straight stitcher. That is the one I'm saving for. DH and DS will help me buy it in November. It will be my birthday, (October) and Christmas present all rolled into one. I was adamant about buying mechanical machines only. I just don't think my budget would allow for the up keep on an electronic/programmable machine.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 AM

Thank you Judith!! Yes I love making these type of quilts, it's just that I have too many unfinished projects so I have to wait with the next new one. And you're right, some of the blocks took a few hours to make

Like you I'm a starter and find it hard to finish as there are so many quiltpatterns out there I want to make. Each new one is even more beautiful than the ones I already saw......hahaha. Keeps us busy!

I have a Juki TL 98-P (straight stitcher). The one with speed control wasn't available here in The Netherlands. Oh well, no problem. It's great for piecing and FMQing.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:53 AM

Macybaby- I get it. I'm right there with you. Here is what has been holding me up from getting back to SBS, but I have as many as you in the works. All in storage. Moving again this week, but not getting out of storage yet. The good news, is I FOUND MY SBS BOOK!!! I am so excited that I pulled a few boxes of scraps to take with me, and once I finish the quilting on the monster, I am back on it. That is a King size- I swear the last I will ever do on a domestic machine. But it is to replace the last one I made for son #1 years ago. He has worn it out. His birthday is May 8th, which I probably won't make, but it'll be close enough. Anael, your applique is just darling! DonnaPea- keep going- I'm with you and have been working on mine since the beginning of this thread. Off and on of course. Love you all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirk number 2 (2).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	593715  
Old 04-28-2018, 07:06 AM

OH wow Laurafet, what a lovely quilt. I don't like browns.......sorry.....but I love the design. Lots of work!!

Glad you found your SBS book! Whenever you're ready to make a few, we will cheer you on!

Thanks for the compliments. Back to the sewing machine I go........LOL. I finished one quilt but that wasn't an UFO......so that doesn't count!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM

Actually, Anael, it is all grays with some beiges -one of the few kits I have ever purchased. I'm not much on browns either. Just the lighting there late afternoon. It's a collection by Jason Yenter In the Beginning fabrics called Textured Graphix. I needed something that spoke "refined batchelor" to some degree. What is it with these young people and all of their black??