Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin" >

Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin"

Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin"

Old 04-29-2018, 04:30 AM

I would just continue with the stitching in just this one direction. Nothing jumps out at me that makes this an awful looking quilt. The pictures shown look to be a beautiful quilt so throwing it away would be out of the question. I think you have done too much work to give that a thought. We are always more critical of our own work, so I would suggest finishing the quilt, put it away for awhile and you may feel differently when you take it out again.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:35 AM

Well, it's almost 11pm here in Australia and that quilt just kept bugging me and bugging me. Now I know I said ripping out stitches was not an option but...............3 hours later and I have skun it/skinned it. Not quite the gentle method employing a stitch ripper and an inhuman amount of patience but rather a whopping great big "I'm beyond caring" suture removal blade and wouldn't you know it.....not one nick in the fabric! Not one! Crikey, you can get lucky some times can't you!

I'll start all over again next weekend. Thankyou everyone, this forum and another I belong to are terrific for advice and I do appreciate all the suggestions.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Jacob's Ladder is my very favorite pattern. It would break my heart if you tossed it in trash can. I sleep under a J.L. every night--even with AC. Surely it will please you after being washed! Laundering can change the quilting look.
I was thinking the same about washing the quilt. I do not see anything wrong with the quilting so far.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:27 AM

Please don’t trash this quilt. It’s really pretty. If you could see some of my quilts, you wouldn’t be criticizing this quilt.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Well, it's almost 11pm here in Australia and that quilt just kept bugging me and bugging me. Now I know I said ripping out stitches was not an option but...............3 hours later and I have skun it/skinned it. Not quite the gentle method employing a stitch ripper and an inhuman amount of patience but rather a whopping great big "I'm beyond caring" suture removal blade and wouldn't you know it.....not one nick in the fabric! Not one! Crikey, you can get lucky some times can't you!

I'll start all over again next weekend. Thankyou everyone, this forum and another I belong to are terrific for advice and I do appreciate all the suggestions.
So, what are you going to do differently?

bkay
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 AM

Very first thing is to walk away from it! To keep trying to push through will simply upset you more and get you more frustrated. We all have a project (or two) that is sitting in a box because it stopped being fun and became a real chore. Once you have taken a bit of time, then go back to it. From your pictures, it is not that bad. A quilt is supposed to be 'bubbly' and even some of that might be pressed flat if you desire. NEVER RUBBISH BIN A QUILT! There are so very many people who would treasure a handmade quilt. If you are concerned about giving it as a gift to someone you know, donate it. BTW - I think it looks fine, your piecing is great, your points are wonderful. You have put a lot of work into it.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Since you have now removed all the quilt stitching, giving it to a long armer to do a simple all-over pattern may solve your two problems: 1) I don't really know how to fix this even if I start again, and 2) I have lost interest in this quilt.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 AM

The top is beautiful, you made a mistake, don't beat yourself up over it. Now that you have decided to start over I hope it goes well. It probably will look much better to you. Try to just love it for what it is, not what might have been I love your courage to do it again.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Part of the problem might be you are going all in one direction. Try alternating the direction one row in one direction, next row in opposite direction so you create a grid instead of just rows.
It truely looks ok - don’t toss it.
Once it is all quilted and laundered you probably won’t be able to tell there was an issue, everything will look great.
I was going to ask about alternating sewing rows as well. Also, if some of the fabric was cut on crosswise grain and some on straight of grain it can make a difference. I would suggest finishing it and even laying it aside for awhile and going back to it after you finish it. Maybe you've stressed working on it and pushing yourself too fast or too hard. Don't trash it.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:46 PM

Personally, I can barely see what you are talking about. Once it has been washed & dried any tiny "poufs" won't show anyway. It's beautiful.