Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Using Heat 'n' Bond >
  • Using Heat 'n' Bond

• Using Heat 'n' Bond

Old 04-30-2018, 04:34 PM

Mavis,

I'm obviously no expert, but I have made several machine appliqued quilts. I use the Heat 'N Bond Lite -- never the "heavy" or "ultra"-- that's going to be way too stiff for a quilt. If you use the ultra, you are letting yourself in for a lot of grief -- even the lite will, on occasion, gum up your needle, but it's certainly not as extreme as the "ultra". I think the Pellon Lite Fusible is your best bet for a stabilizer for a T-Shirt Quilt.

That use is not recommended even by the manufacturer, and I really don't think the sales lady who sold that to you is correct -- what she uses it for is no doubt different than what your project is.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 04-30-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional content
    Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 PM

Blah to sewing through the Heat N Bond--did that once and needle kept gumming up and very stiff. I've made about 25 t-shirt quilts (working on one right now) and I prefer the 54" wide StayFlex (its a woven stabilizer that is used in tailored clothing--it comes in 20" wide too) or my 2nd choice is FlexFuse (I've also heard it referred to as French Fuse) it's a 20" wide woven stabilizer that is a knit, so it does stretch in one direction. Both of these are light and easy to use (especially the StayFlex). 3rd choice is a Pellon 311F or 309F--but I think they are heavier and only come in 20" widths. Good luck!
    Old 05-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Just wanted to add that I actually bought EB's pattern for t-shirt quilts! I know people seem to want to avoid buying patterns and just search the internet but for me, this pattern had so much information condensed in one spot, it was well worth the approx. $8.00. Don't get me wrong, I love perusing the internet, also, but for me, I like specific written instructions that I can look at whenever I want.

Last edited by suern3; 05-01-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Old 05-01-2018, 03:09 PM

It will also break your thread constantly...when doing t shirt quilts you use one.side pellon fusible lightweight batting...
    Old 05-01-2018, 04:28 PM

The very best backing for t-shirts is French fuse it is 60 " wide a knot and does not add weight I hAve made about 5 of these quilts