Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . . >

Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . .

Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . .

Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 PM

I may have to try a few of these ideas. Our problem is that the purple finches land on my car side mirrors, and attack themselves and leave their messes, and my husbands pickup truck mirrors attracts the cardinals!
Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM

I guess the Crazy Birds cover the US. A client has a robin attacking the upper windows of the loft area & another type building a nest on the log beam of the deck roof. Every day we sweep up the grass etc. that has slid off the beam. Hopefully they will give up soon.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

We get cardinals doing this behavior. It was really annoying last year, until I hung a sheet over the window. I think the inflatable owls or snakes sound good too. Or murder.

This year we have a small bird who built her nest in our garage. She's got 4 eggs in it, but she is more off the nest than on. And when she's off, she's perched nearby, dropping her mess everywhere. Why do birds poop so much?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 AM

My son had this problem at his front door (all glass). nothing seemed to work until he printed a picture of an owl and taped it to the window. that solved the problem. earlier this year, he had a different bird land on the edge of the door frame and "knock" on the window. I know it wasn't funny because it drove my son crazy but it was funny. he just leaned a big piece of cardboard he had handy at the door and it stopped. Crazy birds!!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Suz

In our former home, a female robin built a nest atop my grapevine wreath near the laundry door. When I discovered it and found no eggs, I took it down and placed it upside down on the table beneath the wreath and planned to dispose of it later. By morning, she had flipped the nest over and promptly layed three blue eggs. For the rest of the summer, we used another door to go onto the back porch so as not to disturb the babies. -- Regarding the pooping. When she would come to feed the little ones, she would tap on the behind of one, it would raise its backside and as the baby pooped, she would take the sack of poop and fly off with it dropping it wherever. So the poop you see splattered everywhere, is hers or possibly that of a baby. Needless to say, I am very aware of building of nests.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Here's my pesky bird story, seems everyone has one. Ours was a Pileated Woodpecker, it ended up pecking away half of a windowsill and started on another. We did try the aluminum strips tacked to the windows. We've been here 32 years and this is the first time ole Mr Woodpecker has bothered us. Yup, the birds are crazy this spring.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Most but not all birds are that way; the male is much prettier and striking in color; the females duller in color to protect them from predators during nesting time. I have the clear decals on my windows; they seem to work pretty well; I have some stained glass hangers in some; they don't work as well OR I have dumb doves. They constantly bang into the glass; I'm surprised I've not seen any deceased ones in my flower beds. Let us know if you find something that actually works.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Hope you solve your glass pecking problem. Lots of good ideas here for deterrents. I would try the owl picture or hanging curtains as Jan did.

We don't have a glass pecking problem, but we did have a coo coo wood pecker visit us one year. We live in the woods - lots of trees. No, this wood pecker had to peck at the metal cap on our chimney! After doing this for a couple of weeks, I think he finally got the idea that he wasn't going to get any bugs from the chimney, nor was he going to attract a mate - unless she was into "heavy metal".