Why Featherweights?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:12 PM

I learned to sew on a FW (I'm 53) - made many clothes on it long before the days of knits, sergers, embroidery machines, etc.

If you have the buttonhole attachment, it comes with a plate to cover the feed dogs.

And they make THE BEST buttonholes - better than any newer machine I have tried (I have had two other singers, now have two Vikings, tried Pfaffs and Berninas before I bought the Vikings - their buttonholes don't compare to the little humble FW).

Watch out for the light bulb though! Many a wrist have been burned on those bulbs!

For the moldy smelling cases - fabric softener sheets closed up in them help. My mother would never let us set hers on the concrete floor due to moisture.

Great machines!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Oh my, I want one. Anyone have a picture. Maybe I 've passed them by.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Needless to say I found it again. (If not I would probably still be driving around there months later!) I do like my machine. It's from 1938 and has a scroll pattern on the side. That's part of how you tell the age. There is a book on them that's very informative. It is a work horse but I've only use it once or twice. It did need a new light but that was it and the local sewing store stocked it.
What book are you talking about?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM

I learned how to sew on my Mother's feathweight. She purchased it in 1936 for $125 which was a fortune in those days. After she died I let my two nieces have it as she had taught them to sew on it. I purchased one at a yard sale locally. I don't believe it had ever been used. It still smelled new. I only paid $20. Someone had passed away and the family was selling off her things. I made a fast get away before someone told them what I good deal I had gotten. I take it to retreats or workshops as it is so light. It does make a beautiful straight stitch. I won one for my daughter at a raffle my guild had several years ago.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM

I found one at an antique mall in Albuquerque a few years ago. Excellent shape and sews like a wonder. I learned to piece on the older 830 Bernina which was not a computer machine and sadly it was stolen. Got new computer Bernina and it is great for fashion sewing but hate it for piecing. The older machines react immediately to your command, the computer machines take a stitch to get the command. You can get a 1/4 foot for them now too. The one with the side piece that won't let you get it wrong. Lots of sites on internet. The book list the year one was made by the serial number. Wouldn't take anything for mine and I have six machines.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM

The 221 is a regular straight stitch machine. The 222 is a free arm, a little heavier but has a removable table. By turning a thumb screw the table slides off and converts to the free arm. I have 3 of the regular black 221's with one of them being a bicentennial edition. Also have a white (celery) one. This edition has a shorter bed table but otherwise it's identical to the black ones. I also have the 222 free arm, which is much more expensive and harder to find in good condition. All my machines are in working order and I love each one of them. I also have 2 of the toy models (1 a bicentennial and 1 is brown/tan). Also in working condition.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM

My husband recently bought me a Featherweight and I haven't gotten to use it much, however, I am absolutely thrilled! I've been told it's a "quilter's dream" and a "work horse." Also, it is so cute, portable and known for making a perfect straight stitch. The FW is hard to get on e-bay but can be done.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I don't think I've ever showed my FW to DH. I remember telling him how happy I was to find one. I need to let him know it goes to DGD if anything happens.
Well I was lucky enough that DH bought me one for Christmas just this last year! We were road-touring on holidays in Western Australia, him listening to the cricket, me requesting frequent stops at Antique, patchwork and coffee shops! Saw one - gasped at the price --- mentioned it to him about 100km later! Well, some three days later did a u-turn on the trip and he bought it for me! Sews beautifully ... Got two gorgeous daughters - who'll get it later on? No worries! Mentioned my 'woes' to a fellow quilter at our group - she has two - and no daughters! Promised me she'd sell me one!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Ah, Featherweights--should I even start on them! their recent popularity came about when quilting teachers started carrying them on the planes. they are great for going to classes, etc. sure, they are cute--but workhorses.
walking foot works, but usually do not need one. quilting on them is hard because of the short throat space. not that much goes wrong if they were cared for. eBay seems like a good place to get them--but you can be stung easily by crafty sellers. my husband repairs lots of eBay "finds". if you see any "whitish" spots on bottom or edges--that is aluminum "rot". do not buy ! they are easy to maintain on your own. but they do need oiling, cleaning regularly.
now--301's-they are the real gems ! lower cost,too.
educated yourself, there are many online sites ISMACS.
Needlebar.org, Yahoo groups. etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Go to Walmart and buy a Brother (Project runway)...it has50 built in stitches and 87 stitch functions....And you can pick it up with one finger...very light weight very smart machine
great for taking to quilt classes....I love mine