Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mat?  Used one? >

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Old 06-16-2018, 01:53 PM

I used PayPal at EcoRug and had no problems. They shipped it within a day of my ordering!

I ordered one long enough to do my better board (big board that folds for storage), 1-1/2" wider so it would wrap around and just barely under. I ordered it extra long so that I could have one for travel to classes or retreats. I used double sided carpet tape to secure one end. The other end I left loose and cut about 4" longer. This will allow for the pad to fold when the Better Board is folded in half, but does not shift away from the placement needed. I had to make a new cover anyhow, which is what started the whole thing for me. (I had used a craft paint - which of course spilled - on my board. When I washed it, it shrank several inches! No where near fitting any more.) I followed the basic design of the old cover and made a cute new one. It cinches up like the old one did, but is longer to allow for the extra pad and also in case of shrinkage. You can see a picture here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/224546731406512191/

I thought I would need to cover my extra piece (the part I cut away to travel with) as my skin gets irritated if I touch wool. However, the minute I cut it off and it dropped to the floor (I had it laid out on the board when I cut it), my cat took it over. I'm guessing it's the smell? He loves to lie on it and sharpens his claws in it. Whatever.

It did have an odor when I first put it on, but doesn't seem to any more. Or maybe I've gotten used to it and don't notice? I did grow up on a farm, lol...

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 06-16-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 PM

I was at the site playing with the size selectors. $44.95 is the minimum purchase. So if you order and an 18"X 24" mat or a mat up to about 4 foot by 4 foot (or there about) the prices will be the same at $44.95. So you may want to go in with a quilt or sewing buddy and purchase a larger piece and cut it down. Remember to ask for one continuous cut.

This would be a good mat for your pet with arthritis. I suppose if you covered it well you could use it for yourself too.

I understand it may have a smell.... is it the smell of wool/sheep or from processing?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:23 PM

I have it. Love it. I took it to a retreat and most of the ladies loved it! Makes your blocks really flat and seems to "seal" the seams
Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the large size Steady Betty. It is one of the must haves in my sewing room.
Me Too...love my betty...
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM

I have a sleeve press and a ham; both are cotton duck on one side and wool on the other ...
Old 06-28-2018, 05:22 AM

I purchased a mat from the Ecorug site....a real bargain indeed. But when I received it, the smell about knocked me over and anything that touched it was instantly covered in what looked like hair. I'm really disappointed with it....should have saved a while longer and got one of the originals....live and learn I guess.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:03 AM

Vagrandma, I covered mine woth cotton as my skin gets very irritated by wool. I purchased through Ecorug Iwanted a large piece for my Better Board. It still works perfectly and nothing gets anything on it. The smell dissipates and does not clong to anything i have pressed. I”m very happy with mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F1340EAA-3223-4A80-90DA-0C114C574461.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	597299  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vagrandma View Post
I purchased a mat from the Ecorug site....a real bargain indeed. But when I received it, the smell about knocked me over and anything that touched it was instantly covered in what looked like hair. I'm really disappointed with it....should have saved a while longer and got one of the originals....live and learn I guess.
I ordered a large size from there and never noticed a smell. The 'hair' stuff is from all of them. I have the expensive wool mat and use it on my portable ironing table and it sheds and it smells. So I don't think it's the price. Wool has certain qualities that if gotten rid of it wouldn't be wool.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Like a few others in this thread, I had a WWII era wool army blanket that I cut down and put on my ironing board under the cover. Works great. Used only one layer. Retains the heat like crazy so it is like pressing from both sides at once.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 AM

I bought one from Quilt in a Day when it was 1/2 off, it is 18x12 and 1/2" thick, if I remember correctly it was $25.00. I love it, you do have to be careful with surface you use on as heat and steam will penetrate through the mat but I usually use without steam on or with on lowest setting. If using steam it does have "wet wool" odor that some people don't like, it doesn't bother me. It really does make a difference in pressing.