Summer Gardening

Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM

I have an herb garden and for now I only have several different types of tomato plants in my raised garden. I use weed n feed, it does help eliminate the weeds some and is great feed
Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 AM

We have just bought a small home after living in the RV for a year and a half. I used to have about a 30 x 50 garden and I have missed it. I am so looking forward to recreating my garden but we are in the middle of renovations first. I couldn't resist doing something in the garden. Even tho it was late in the season I found some cuc and zuc seedlings and planted them where I will put a small greenhouse. I will have raised beds for vegetables in the back. Before I moved I potted up a lot of bulbs and plants and gave them away with the proviso that if I could I would get starts back (I even have a fig tree). So that is organized but most won't happen til next year. We are doing part of the renos ourselves so most of my energy is going on the inside but I hope to at least get the soil prepped for next years plantings. There are a few shrubs on the property and 2 - 3 roses but everything is very old and neglected - big roots lots of old dead limbs. I had a holly bush dug out yesterday. It is not a large space but we sold as it was too much for us. This will be much more manageable. I am so happy to be able to play in the dirt then come in and wash my hands and quilt. It is lovely to be retired.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 AM

I think there are 13 flower beds here. Each has a theme. Bees; birds; hostas; lilies, shade, sun, marigolds, etc. Then there is another bed that is almost all dahlias. The weeds are taking over. I got into something that made me have an allergic reaction and the skin is still peeling off my hands and now legs. I'd rather be in the A/C quilting.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm originally from New York. Everything seems to grow better there. And apples are just amazing. I like very few Ohio apples.
My FIL grew the best tomatoes I ever ate. I don't know what it is here but things just don't grow as well for me. I have had perennials die- I think it doesn't get cold long enough here maybe.
Not to complain about Ohio, just not as much fun gardening here.

Of course, weeds thrive wherever I live haha. But as I said above I love to weed. I wish I liked work inside my house as much
Old 07-02-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
Hmmm, we have a pond. I would like o try some water things in there. Right now there is a bit of algae it does a have a cycling water feature but I need to learn how to treat without chemicals because I have a dog that drinks out of it even though he has lots of water.

I have raspberries. I want to grow a thornless Blackberry but I am new to my garden so I want to catch up before I add anything so fall and spring are my planting times.

Your garden impresses me. Mine is mainly a perennial flower garden and then I have some herbs in pots. Then I have two raised beds for veggies 4 x 8 and 4 x 4. I love the look of the flower beds so I am keeping them.

I need to plant more greens but unless I get a few starters, I will need to wait until next year. Do you do fall and winter gardening? I want to experiment with some things that grow better in fall for late harvest.
Thanks.

Yes, we do fall and winter gardening, though in winter it’s usually only the collards and sometimes kale that can be harvested. You may be able to get some started greens later this summer or early fall from your local garden center depending on how far noth you are.

If you can get some underwater plants in your water garden and also some plants that cover a lot of the surface that will help get rid of the algae and will also make it so you don’t have to use chemicals —unless you use chlorinated water to top it up, then you will need to add something to the water to make the chlorine and chloramines dissipate if you have fish, otherwise it can injure their gills.

Rob
Old 07-03-2018, 08:09 AM

Ktarsha, I love cone flowers. I need to get some for my garden.
I love them! They are native to Tennessee, so they do well here, even in the worst of the heat and humidity. I have a couple of sunset-colored ones in the mailbox bed and purple, pink, and white in my backyard perennial bed.

I've harvested two little tomatoes so far, and saw several more green ones out there. There are quite a few miniature pumpkins, one butternut squash or gourd (can't remember which I planted!), and several wee jalapeno peppers.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 AM

I have gardened for many years, but it seems to be harder to get a decent crop every year. Weather is undependable, bugs seem to be hardier, and my joints hurt more. I gave up trying to grow enough to can/freeze, now just a few tomatoes, peppers and cukes for fresh eating. I did plant lots of annual flowers in the veggie garden this year. I figured my soul needed feeding more than my belly, I guess.
I go out in the garden for a while morning and evening. I try to stay in during the main part of the day. Too darned HOT! Yes, I'm shouting.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

5000 sq ft. I am impressed! I have mainly a flower garden with raised beds for veggies. We will see how it goes. I didn't know tomatoes could get too much sun. Some are a little wilted at the top of the plant although keeping watered but they do get a lot of sun. Can't wait until they mature. I am seeing fruit already.
I don't know what happened but our rhubarb is gone. We had it for years.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:55 AM

Just moved, and put in veggies where flowers used to grow. Now the deer and rabbits are eating the veggies...LOL NOT what I had planned!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Used to spend more time outside gardening. Flowers and vegetables. When we moved into this house about 10 years ago, I was unprepared for such heavy clay soil. We also face south now, so best light is in the front yard. I’ve moved my vegetable garden several times searching for the best location. I’m pretty sure the neighbors don’t want my veggie garden in the front yard. So I’ve limited myself to green beans and tomatoes last few years. Here are my bean tepees after I set them up. I get beans from my cousin down in Tennessee. He sells heirloom beans. My favorite is the lazy housewife.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]597363[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	E4C351DF-C884-4340-BEEF-E40727EA7923.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	597363