Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Frozen Roast >

Frozen Roast

Frozen Roast

Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM

I put frozen meat in the crock pot all the time. I've never had an issue with it not being moist. I use soups or broth and seasonings. I figure if it hasn't killed us in almost 50 years, I don't have to worry! I've never done one in the oven that way.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Have any of you ever had a crockpot crack from putting frozen meat in it? My first one did.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
Have any of you ever had a crockpot crack from putting frozen meat in it? My first one did.
If you place the roast on top of carrots or paotatoes or both, it will not touch the bottom as it comes up to heat, and will reduce the chance of hot/cold cracking of the crock. The crock broke because parts of it got hot, and the rest or it stayed cold because it was touching the frozen meat.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 AM

Hmmm, guess I missed the memo. I nearly always use a frozen roast and put it in the crockpot. I've done this for 40 years or more. It comes out tender and juicy.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:16 PM

Yep--I'm another frozen roast into the crockpot person. I chop onions,celery, carrot and garlic for the bottom. (Here's another hint that works well--puree the chopped veggies before you put them in the crockpot and they become part of the gravy. This is especially good if you take the cooked meat out and cut into pieces like stew, return it to the pot with par-boiled potatoes and any other veg you like)

As far as the tough roast--was it completely sealed in its cooking pan? That's the only reason I can come up with.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:16 PM
mac

I did seal it in two separate rolls of aluminum foil. Maybe next time I will put it into a cooking bag, instead.

I never thought about meat that comes from different stores as being more tender than another. I always figure that a rump roast is the same in all stores. Maybe there is something to that. Since we have so many stores here, I think it would be hard to tell.

To all who wrote that meat is different than it was years ago, I think you are right. Meat does seem different than it was only ten years ago. Some cuts are better and some are not as good as they used to be.

There is one suggestion that I can make for everyone for using non-tender pieces of meat (beef, chicken, or pork) is that you can use a meat tenderizer known as a "Jaccard" Simply Better Meat Tenderizer. Here is one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A3G0F6...524092549&sr=4

It does a great job of tenderizing meat by poking small holes in the meat and it tenderizes it beautifully. When I bought mine about 10+ years ago, it cost me $40 and I see now that the price has gone down considerably to just a little more than half of the original price. This gadget had been recommended in a steak restaurant article on how steak houses made there tender steaks even more tender. Since I love steaks and can't really afford them I thought I would try it on less tender cuts of meat, so I think it was a great buy at the cost I paid. Over the years, it has more than paid for itself.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM

I also put frozen chuck roasts in the crock pot for 8 hours and it is so moist and juicy. The family has enjoyed it for years. Sometimes, I throw in carrots, potatoes and an onion--meal in one pot. Yum!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:48 AM

I do frozen meat in my crock pot all the time comes out great . I love carrots in there too......
Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 AM

When we were n the military and lived in Asia any meat we got was or had been frozen and I cooked roasts from frozen all the time. The result was always a tender, flavorable roast. I don't remember how long I roasted it per pound or if I wrapped it but it always turned out well. I haven't had to roast a frozen one for years but wouldnt hesitate to do it again if I forgot to take the roast out of the freezer.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM

There are also different grades of meat. I never which is the highest. I think it is the choice but could be the prime. Naturally the highest grade is also the highest price.