Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low vision >

Low vision

Low vision

Old 07-27-2018, 02:00 PM

I don't have anything to add except that using cheap, thin shelf liner under my rulers has been the best thing I've ever tried for preventing any slipping. I learned about it from this video by Pat Speth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4042cAxo5aY

I have had some vision issues over the years and would be blind in both eyes if it wasn't for modern medicine. If you can see well with your good eye, it seems to me that you can handle rulers and rotary cutters just fine as long as there is no slipping. Best wishes!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM

The various tools listed here are all quilting/sewing features that are available today to help those of us with special vision issues. I am so thankful I live in 2018 and not back in the 1800's. It is a shock when it first happens; it is trial and error, takes time, adjustments, and a positive attitude. Start with easy patterns, smaller projects, when you are learning to quilt with vision loss. I would also mention safely is critical. I have been advised repeatedly by my eye doctors to protect my remaining vision/eye by protective glasses, -- so I always wear some type of "reading glasses" when near a needle, sewing machine, the protective gloves, sharp blade with the June Taylor cutting mat, etc.

Precuts are great (charms, jelly rolls, layer cakes....)

Less clutter, more space are necessary to help not have an accident.

Find your best time to sew. Day/night/ when you are not tired. Take breaks. Your eye is working very hard for you.

I have learned to thread a needle which was almost impossible with loss of depth perception. Much practice.

Be easy on yourself. No quilt police.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 PM

I also have no sight in one eye. (I lost the sight in that eye 22 years ago.) I started quilting 8 years ago and just finished my 149th quilt. If I can do this, you can.

Three things have helped me the most. They have already been mentioned, but I want to let you know that they have made it possible for me to quilt.

First, the June Taylor slotted ruler is a must. I know it has kept my fingers whole, as depth perception with only one eye is impossible. I use that ruler (thought I have 3 of them ) for everything. I have other rulers but they mainly go unused.

Second, lots of light. I have the regular light on my machine, one of those lights with a flexible "stem" that sticks on the left side of my sewing machine (Bendable Bright LED Light), and a shop light right over my sewing machine. Each is necessary for me to see well. I also have a shop light over my ironing board, plus the light that came with the room, which is on the ceiling in the center of the room. My sewing room is about ten feet by ten feet, so it is well lite in here.

Third, I concentrate on SITD or straight lines that I can follow using the blue painter's tape. I HAVE to have a line to follow, as things aren't really always where I think they are. With a line to follow...a seam or the tape, I just line my foot up with the line. I do have a SITD foot that I use when quilting the sandwich. I have 11 ribbons in quilt shows with my quilts, so don't believe those who say you can't win ribbons if all you do is SITD.

I hope some of this is helpful and I have to tell you that this hobby has saved my life. I retired 10 years ago from teaching and was fearful I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Well, now I know. I quilt...

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 07-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:27 PM

I only have 19% vision in my right eye, but it's been that way for 72 years (a car accident), so I rarely notice it. I do have to note what's on the right as I walk. That saves bruises on the right side of my body. I think I cut well enough, but I do use the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:23 AM

This may not help, but I once painted rubber cement on the backs of my rulers to keep them from slipping. It worked.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:56 AM

My only advise is good lighting. I use Ott lights. I admire your determination.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:42 PM

I also have vision loss. I had cataract surgery last November on my right eye, but the left one is virtually gone -- some peripheral vision, but not a lot. I've been sewing all my life, quilting since -- my first one was made -- a baby quilt for my niece's daughter -- back in 2002. I am 73, so I'm not getting any younger (none of us are, right?). Keep on trying. I have age related MD in my left eye. Before I had cataract surgery, I had problems with SITD -- I would see double stitching rows where there was actually only one stitching row, and threading a needle was virtually impossible. By all means, use safety gloves if you are cutting your pieces with a rotary cutter.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
My daughter is blind in her left eye, since birth. Of course she has never had normal vision. She can do anything she wants to do. She is needing more light to sew and quilt by. Part of getting older. Schill93 has some very good ideas for anyone having a hard time seeing.
Same here, but it's my right eye. Like your daughter, I'm not having any problems. But I think being born that way, we compensate a lot. It's probably much harder when you loose your vision later in life. I remember an experiment in middle school when we had to cover one eye and then touch the top of an eraser positioned in front of us with the tip of one finger. That was really hard for my two-eyed classmates, but I had no problems at all! I do appreciate good light, though, and have bought a good LED lamp that I'm using for any sewing.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:50 PM

FYI, I get my glasses at the Dollar Tree, 1.00 a pair. I have 7 all over the house. I went to the store and found a bottle of medicine with print that was totally blurred. Then went and tried on glasses until I could read the fine print at 10 to 12 inches away. I wear a 2.50 to 3.00. I found that the wire rim glasses will last longer than the plastic rims. Every one of my plastic glasses broke on the right side because of putting them on and taking them off with my right hand. I did super glue a pair, but that means you can't fold them on that side. Wire rims have never broken ... yet. Another trick, punch needle holes inside a quarter size piece of paper. Hold it to your eye and look through it, might help. also double up your fist, rest your thumb on your nose and look through the small hole through the inside of your fist.