Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Embroidery using flash drive >

Embroidery using flash drive

Embroidery using flash drive

Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Were able to get the design to work on your machine yet?
Old 07-30-2018, 04:52 PM

I just checked with my local Bernina dealer, (my former boss). She says your issue is that on all Bernina machines using a USB stick, you have to use EXP format.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 PM

They are correct - no machine will read a zipped file. That is very easy to take care of - just go to the zipped file and high light it, then at the top of the screen there will be a tab saying "Extract All". Click on it and it will open a new file - in the new file it will have the individual patterns. It is possible there are different extensions to use - save the EXP versions to your USB stick and then your machine should be able to read it.

You sound like me when I first got my machine - my dealer didn't tell me a thing about unzipping files or even a better program than the one that came with the machine. Thank heavens for the internet and the Road to CA quilt show. There was a dealer there with the upgraded program and he was able to help me over the phone. I finally found someone in San Diego that knows the Viking machines and the the various programs to go with them.

I love my machine and hope you enjoy yours. It took me quite a bit of playing but it has paid off and I love embroidering.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 PM

I can't add any ideas to this, but would suggest you get a different, very small embroidery design of the type your machine uses and see if it will work. You can get free sample designs from some of the embroidery sites, such as https://www.kreativekiwiembroidery.co.nz/, embroiderydesigns.com, and others. If a little design works, then you will know you're on the right track.

You will catch on. I just got into machine embroidery about a year ago and have had a lot of fun with it. I thought I wanted it just to make a few quilt labels, but it's much more versatile than I realized.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 PM

I reformatted my memory stick, and re downloaded the EXP format from my pattern, one pattern at a time. I did put it in the machine, and at least it is reading the memory stick now. My brain is fried from work today, so tomorrow when I get home I will try a small project and let everyone know how I make out. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM

Now my next question, any idea how long it will take for the machine to read the pattern that I chose to upload? I realize that it will depend on how detailed and how big it is. I am trying to make a small zipper change purse that has a quilted back, that is part one of the pattern. The hour glass has been there for about 15 to 20 minutes at this point.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 PM

I have never had ay download delay for my Viking - have you talked with the dealer today?
Old 08-01-2018, 04:36 AM

It shouldn't take long. The design should show in 2-3 seconds.

Are you able to load another design from the USB?

What is the Stitch Count of the design?

What is the Stitch Count limit for your machine? It may be the design is over the machine limit.

Hope you are stitching soon!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 AM

It sounds like you need to start from scratch. Make sure the stick capacity is no more than 2GB; larger ones may not be read. Put the USB stick back into the computer and reformat it for FAT or FAT 32. If it's a different format, the Bernina may not read it. Once it's formatted, copy the design back on to the stick. Then try to have the Bernina read it. It should come up on the screen immediately.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have never had ay download delay for my Viking - have you talked with the dealer today?
I agree, I put my usb in, navigate the folders to where the design is and its there, ready to be played with. I also havn't heard about formatting your USB either, I have designs on several of them and none are formatted and the designs show up right away.I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and a Brother and they both see right away