Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Automated quilting system for a longarm >

Automated quilting system for a longarm

Automated quilting system for a longarm

Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM

I have a TL18LS (2009 model on wood frame) & Qbot V3 (3.41 build)...love my setup. Have had the poles extended to 12 ft by a local metal worker...so am a happy camper.

The benefit of an automated robot is not speed, for me it's doing custom designs in software and putting them on a quilt.
With the Qbot V3, which is run by an app & on a tablet..is that you can take a block design and "chain" it to make it an e2e design (as long as the start/stop is level to one another). I can do fill work in a few steps....and now with the newest update, I can actually do a blanket stitch around fused appliques...and there are several types to choose from. You can write on the quilt, etc.

I sound thrilled, right? Well, for me freehand is at least twice as fast...so only use qbot on request for designs I can't freehand easily (animals for example).
If your quilting skills aren't the best, or you have arthritic hands, etc...the Qbot is a great tool to keep you from having to work with sore hands.

Marge

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
Hi there,
I would like to know what is the exact use or advantage one could have to own an automated quilting system (like Qbot for exemple).
I know some people doesn't really enjoy the quilting part, so it makes sense. But I Love the freedom to draw anything on a quilt. So would that be of any use for me?
I'm thinking about it because I saw an ad on my local Kijiji. Someone is selling a longarm system for a very interesting price (a Mega quilter 18-8 on an Inspira frame and a Qbot for 6000$ CAD, that's even less in USD).
I currently have a HQ16 (older version) on a portable frame; the frame is, in fact, pole and rails that I installed on some kitchen cabinet. It is set on 120 inches The HQ16 have the stitch regulator. I really like my little system, bought 2 years ago for 2500$ The only reason why I'm thinking of an upgrade is that the number of my commissioned quilts is growing each month. Would I be able to finish quilts is less time with an automated system? Then I may be worth upgrading. But I'm not sure...
Hope you'll be able to share some thoughts!
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 PM

I also have a tin lizzie..a 2007...with a qbot !! I enjoy both...the qbot allows me to do designs a lot faster than I could ever do free hand, so I like it for most quilts..for special quilts that I want to put a personal touch on, I use the tin lizzie, rulers, and free hand quilting.It's just personal preference combined with knowing what you usually quilt.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Name of free program to convert drawings to format qbot uses

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I have the Qbot for my machine, so I can only speak to that...one of my favorite things about it is the record function...I can record myself free hand stitching a block, then have it stitch out what I just stitched on my other blocks. As for automated systems, they do speed up your turn around time.
My qbot works with ".plt" format, and I was able to find a free program that will convert drawings, etc. to the format qbot uses,so if I can't find the pattern I like, I can draw it, then convert it and stitch it. I imagine you can do that with any automated head. Goof Luck!
Donna can you please email me the name of the program you are using to convert drawings to the .plt format?

Thanks,
katescater
Old 01-26-2020, 09:25 PM

profannie...I don't know..I am using version V3, purchased in 2016. I have found the qbot people really good at answering questions, so if you email them, I'm sure they'd tell you.