Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis >

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

afraid-to-use-my-fabric-stash-itis

Old 09-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I had to force myself to start cutting. Once I did this, it became much easier.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM

I too have a lot of fabric but it's not because I don't want to cut into it, mostly it's because there are so many quilts that I want to make and then another pattern comes out that I have to make but need that fabric........
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 AM

I'd love to see what fabrics are on the "do not cut" list. Is that like a "do not ressitate"; DNR?? Maybe that is a little different.

When I see a fabric that I just love, I buy a lot of it in each color available. Then.....what do I do with it? Leave it here for the kids to ship to Goodwill? I really need to use it. After all, I loved it as fabric, why wouldn't I love it in a quilt?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I hung onto a beautiful blue and white toile print for years. Finally I used it for a back. Wouldn't you know our next quilt show theme is blue and white quilts? Hang onto your favorites. Oh how I wish I did. Favorites sing to your heart and deserve something special.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 AM

This is the fabric on my DNC list. I just cannot bring my self to use it for anything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601561[/ATTACH]
Watson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fav.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	601561  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:20 AM

I understand this tendency, but I've gotten over it (mostly) by telling myself that there's no point my spending the time making something out of fabric I find ugly. I can make only a limited number of quilts in my life, so shouldn't I be making them out of fabrics that I love? If I'm making something for myself, the question is: Don't I want a quilt/bag/skirt made out of something I love that I will then see regularly?

The other coping mechanism I use is to buy a lot of something I really love. Then I can use it for something and tell myself that I'll still have some left if I want to make something else out of it. I sometimes do, but other times I feel like I'm done with it.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:59 AM

Thank goodness there's someone else out there! Will be watching for this answer. Help us!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:05 AM

I tended to not to want to cut into my favourite fabrics. Then I got breast cancer. It scared me into realizing that I may never see those fabrics as they were meant to be.

I started cutting them up and after my surgery when I had healed enough to start stitching I did pretty much what zozee suggested. I made a lap quilt with my precious 1930’s reproduction quilts that were too good to cut. I cuddle with my dog under it every day.

I can still see and admire and , yes pet those fabrics. They are in quilts where I can see them and not on a shelf in my sewing room where they are not doing me much good.

Take zozee’s advice. It’s good advice.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I remember feeling that way at times long ago and in many cases by the time I got around to using a fabric I was saving I no longer liked it.
Now I use only what I love, which is most of my fabric. I don't save it for "someday". There will always be a new one I want to buy.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
This is the fabric on my DNC list. I just cannot bring my self to use it for anything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601561[/ATTACH]
Watson
Oh Watson!!! That is the most beautiful fabric I have seen in a while! Is it currently available? Who makes it? Like you I would never be able to cut into it. I would make a whole cloth quilt and use just as it is. Back it and bind it....keep it on my chair and use it every single day.
Wow, just wow.