Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
The loss of the perfect coffee cup >

The loss of the perfect coffee cup

The loss of the perfect coffee cup

Old 10-17-2018, 04:01 AM

I'm so happy to see this posted. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my coffee cup pickyness. I want to savor the whole experience since I'm allowed only one cup of caffeine beverage a day. It's almost a ritual.....and that includes the cup!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:11 AM

I would definitely contact the shop where you bought the mug and describe it as best you can. If by chance you still have the broken one, take a photo and send as well. Most stores also will ship orders nowadays. Best of luck!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:07 AM

I live alone and make 2 cups in a french press each morning, which goes in a coffee carafe to stay hot. I drink from a cup and saucer that goes with my (ancestral) Sunday china set that I use every day. I really like using a cup and saucer.

I do have 4 mugs. My favorite is actually an oversized, left handed Limoges teacup that I got at a rummage sale. It is so pretty but holds as much as a mug.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM

I have had my favorite mugs over the years; some just seem to fit my hand and lips better. I used to heat water in a mug in the microwave, but notice that over time, (years) the mug gets way to hot to handle. I wonder why this is? Same microwave, same mug, same time, same amount of water. The longer it is used, the hotter it will get when microwaved. Any scientists here who can help?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I just want one not made in China!
I found some wonderful mugs, bake ware, and serving bowls at Tuesday Mornings. All made in Portugal and England.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Isn't it funny how we can get particular about some items. I am the same way. You are not alone. This is my hot chocolate cup. My sister bought this for me, and I hope nothing ever happens to it because I have never seen another one like it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5394.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	602670  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM

If you remembered what store you bought it from maybe you could call and see if they have another and would ship it?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, first thing I did was try and look up the store -- which I found but which has no on-line store and is closed for the winter. Hubby also snuck the cup out of the trash and looked.

It was black inside and handles with a beautiful northern lights paint job (that's what sparked so much). It had Alaska in script but no other landscape or animals and it did not change color when warm. I thought it was just a 12 oz mug, but when I was looking found it held a full 16 oz which are usually too heavy for me. At the very top of the handle it was just slightly square, for a thumb hold. The sides were rather straight, not much of a taper and definitely no bulge. It was made in China but other than that didn't really have a company name or identifier on the bottom. It was on sale don't remember how much exactly but under $10, maybe just because when I was there it was the end of season or maybe it was the remainders from a previous year's orders.

I will keep up the search, this cup from the Goodwill is better than the other cups I had at home. It's sort of funny one of my other favorite cups was also an Alaskan mug, by artist Barbara Lavallee. She apparently releases one a year but they are the more tapered shape which while I don't mind it was not the same as that previously favorite mug.

I appreciate all of you who understand the relationship between a person and their cup!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM

A friend of mine swears by these coffee mugs. Your description reminded me of her describing her perfect cup. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I just broke my favorite coffee mug! My sweet neighbor bought it for me for my birthday awhile ago and I just loved it. Looked all over the internet and can't find another one
Did you try CafePress? I've found several there.