Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foam board design wall - staples or thumbtacks? >

Foam board design wall - staples or thumbtacks?

Foam board design wall - staples or thumbtacks?

Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 AM

I forgot to mention that I keep my two design boards separate. That way they fit behind my sewing room door when not in use and I can put them side by side when I need more space for a larger design.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:49 AM

I made a design wall out of some kind of foam board that I got at Home Depot and covered it with a piece of flannel I had. I folded it over the edges and taped it but the tape keeps coming off so I like the idea of the gorilla tape and I may try that. I thought the staples would pull out so just taped but not a good idea. Thank you all for the great ideas of how to keep the fabrics or flannels on.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
Batting is heavy, so I use flannel for my wall. Also a lot cheaper!
A lot cheaper! That's why I use flannel also. I bought it on sale at Joann's and enough to cover 2 sheets of insulation barely cost anything. If I need to I poke a pin in to hold things securely. I wouldn't really have problems with the blocks not sticking to it except that I have 2 A/C vents in my sewing room and when the A/C comes on it sometimes blows the blocks off. A pin solves that problem though.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM

T-pins work beautifully. I use a king fleece blanket, cut in half. Covers two 4x8 foam boards. Mine just lean against the wall. Can be stored elsewhere when we need the room for overnight guests. (Had to cut a few inches off one end of each board as we have 8’ ceilings.) Been using them for about 8years with no problems.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I used a staple gun to put the board on my wall. I then put a poly batting on the board, smooth it out and hold in place with the yellow headed pins along the edges of foam. Poly batting is the best for holding blocks with no pinning. Staples work if there is a solid layer to go through. Only going through the foam and cover there is nothing solid so the staples will work out.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:49 PM

I think I would try a few different adhesives such as Mod Podge or wood glue painted on the whole surface then just apply the batting and allow to dry. I think I would test the “grip” of the glue using scraps first.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 PM

I used the insulation board, too but just bought a couple of yards of nice soft neutral INEXPENSIVE flannel and pulled the flannel around the back and duct taped it. Then I propped it against the wall and it works like a charm. When the flannel finally begins to droop, I take it off, shake it out and re-tape it.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:29 PM

I don't really have space for a design wall yet so I use a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth … I hand command hooks and binder clips to hang it in the hallway … easily taken down when not in use.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:53 AM

Like MRSG, I used Command hooks and a "Design Wall" that Fons and Porter sells. Easy as pie to put up and take down if you need to when not in use. Not on a stand or anything but works for me.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh the Fons and Porter Design wall is excellent. I take one to retreats and workshops. It has large grommets so it's easy to hang using push pins . Their fabric is embedded with something that attracts the fabric so it holds the blocks to the board without pinning. Everyone that has used it at retreats buy one. It is easy to store, it looks like a shower curtain and it has a grid.