Guess I'm getting old!

Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM

I don't think it's a matter of anyone being older. I think many people, young and old are trying to be kinder to each other. I think some are tired of all the meanness we see.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Getting older is a privilege earned by few so I don't mind the perks.
Bought winter tires for my truck off Kijiji. When we picked them up, my DH went to put one in the truck bed. Young fellows (I bought them from) jumped in and said "I'll get that for you sir!" Funniest thing ever - he got back in the truck and we drove off with him muttering "young whippersnappers! I can work rings around them!" all the way home.
I walk with a cane after several knee surgeries - one more to come - so I take any and all help offered and am not ashamed to ask for help either. Give people a chance to be kind.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM

There are so many wonderful people out there and the older I get the more people try to help me.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:52 AM

I"m learning to take any help I can get. At 66, I'm still pretty able bodied, but have found I'm not as strong as I once was which is highly annoying to me. I'm getting good at just smiling and saying "thank you so much.

I do enjoy the discounts though!
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Nothing seems to perk up a young person and bringing a smile to their face better than saying thank you sir, or thank you ma'am when they hold a door for you; and it makes you feel good too. Try it.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:14 PM

I myself have not expirienced any acts of kindness. But reading these entries are heart warming!!!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I don’t mind getting old because some are denied the privilege!
Same with me. My four siblings did not get that privilege, parents either.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM

I've had different young people pay for my coffee or soda at times, and it always stuns me. It makes me happy that the young people can be so nice, esp. when you hear about the ones that swear every other word.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:23 PM

Entered a toll booth at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and a car in front of us, with several young folks paid for our toll. And on another trip, we stopped to pick up a Sandwich at Subway and a UPS Driver came in. He told the clerk to put our order on his tab. Thrilled that there are still such good people in the world.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:45 PM

I'm with Tartan--I much prefer getting older to the only other option! I work with lots of older ladies teaching a water wellness class--believe me, age itself doesn't have a lot to do with one's outlook on life--my favorite lady is 92 and I've told my DH that I want to grow up and be her! (in 30 years!)--she gets fancy toe & fingernail polish regularly, always has her hair done, does exercise classes 4x a week, plays bridge (keeps her mind sharp) 3x a week, drives safely 40 miles to another town at least once a month to lunch with old friends, and travels both across the US and internationally with her grandkids.