Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing thread >

Storing thread

Storing thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM

I buy inexpensive clear plastic at JoAnn's and cut it in strips that fit my various spool sizes. Once I open thread, I slip one of the strips around the outside and tape with clear tape. My thread stays clean and behaves perfectly.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
all my thread is stored in bags, either the jewelry size that i get on sale or sandwich or larger depending on the size of the thread.
I use the sandwich bags and put bobbins of the same color in there too.

Edited to add: My spools are all in pull out drawers or in the JoAnn large plastic cases. The spools don't stand up well after you put them in the sandwich bags, plus I don't want my thread to get dust on them. I buy in bulk to save on shipping. Another thing. A couple of years ago, at the Dollar store, I bought the fluffy ponytail holders for little girls. These work great on the bobbins. The downside is you can't see the color.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:19 AM

Go to your local florist and ask for their flower nets as they normally just throw them away. You can cut these whatever length you need and they won't unravel like the sock type we got years ago. I use them on all my size spools and they will stretch to whatever size I need normally.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
Thank you! I had completely forgotten that these existed.

An order has been placed and I should be tangle free very soon.
You could also get some free nets from a florist~~ just an idea
Old 12-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
How do you secure the tail end of reels of thread that have been opened?

Whilst some reels have a nick or groove that the tail end can be secured into, some don't. I generally use 1000/1300m reels. Aurilfil thread doesn't but can be pulled tightly and securely around at the bottom of the wound thread on the reel, but Glide doesn't seem to work like this and I am struggling to keep these reels tidy.

I am sure that someone must have some magic trick for this?
I went to the dollar store and bought the elastic child ponytail holders, works like a charm, I think there are about 20 to a pack $1.00
Old 12-03-2018, 10:55 PM

A lot of spools of thread, the bottom can be pulled down, then wrap the excess thread around the spool bottom, and place the spool on your table and press down to close it. The aurifil thread bottom can be removed or also pulled down and again wrap around your excess of thead, then put the bottom back up to close. Guiterman thread is the same, you have to pull it down and it is quite hard at first, but it will also pull down. Those that do not have a notch in the thread, I use my small cutter, and cut a nick in the top to place in the thread.

Those bobbin threads can be pushed through one of the holes in the top or the bottom of the bobbin, if they have holes, mine does. However I don't think all spools have a hole in the casing - my janomi I just run the excess threads through and under the thread that is wrapped onto the bobbin still.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604798[/ATTACH]I've been using these little mesh nets that garlic comes in at the grocery store. Work fine so far and they can be cut to whatever size you need. I'm such a tightwad!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5f6.jpeg
Views:	766
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	604798  
Old 12-04-2018, 11:09 AM

I buy clear plastic storage boxes that are divided into little sections. The dividers are removable so you can make larger spaces if needed. I keep each thread spool and bobbin together in the one section. The clear plastic top makes it quick and easy to find the thread colour I want and there is no crazy unravelling of spools or bobbins. Of course, this only works with spools, not the larger cones.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]604798[/ATTACH]I've been using these little mesh nets that garlic comes in at the grocery store. Work fine so far and they can be cut to whatever size you need. I'm such a tightwad!
Darn it, I *knew* I should have been saving those for something! I will now!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

you know, long ago i tossed one of those nets that came with thread. didn't know what it was for!!