Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt trimming >

Quilt trimming

Quilt trimming

Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 PM

If the pieces are at least 5" square, I save them. The little pieces of batting can be used as pads for those mop things to clean floors. ... and other cleaning chores.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I keep them to practice my stitches but I don't need that much. For those who
use Elmer's glue for basting....how do you save your scraps when it's glued
together? Do you wash them?
EasyPeezy- the school glue washes right out.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:00 PM

I separate the layers and use the leftovers as many have noted above - if the scraps are quite small I cut into 2 1/2 " squares. Anything smaller than that I put into a bag for a friend if it's at least 1" square. The smaller bits go into a bag for stuffing dog beds. The batting I am not as conservative - if it's large enough to join using a wide zig zag or I can use for potholders or bowl cozies I keep it. The smaller pieces go in the dog bed bag.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 PM

Some times I have a few small pieces left when I make a quilt and put them in a baggie and give the bag to the person the quilt goes to incase something happens and needs repair. Then they have some extra and I did not use them up in another scrap quilt.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Administrator

some i save, some i pitch, some i pass on to friends who will kill me if they find out i threw out scraps in sizes they consider usable.

when i want to see how something will look as quilting, i fish around in my "sandwich stash" and test on those pieces.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 AM

I save it. I square off the batting and zig-zag it together where I cut (I overlap the ends so they match). I use this in small projects. I do not mix types of batting because they behave differently when washed. I am amazed at how much batting I can use this way. I find that doing it as I finish one project eliminates a lot of messy stuff.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:06 AM

I also save mine. Depending on size, I usually try to immediately cut them up into a workable size such as 2 1/2" for blocks or strips. Those not bigger than 1 1/4" strips are saved for making colorful rope baskets.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:17 AM

I save mine. Every so often I make a bunch of pillowcase shapes of different sizes (using polyester or fabric I will never use in a quilt) and hang one beside my cutting table. I fill it with really small scraps. Then I sew up the end and make another cover for it and donate it to the local pet rescue place - the lady there donates them to a vet for cats and dogs. They love them, but I know that some rescue places don't want them, because I've recommended this to other quilters and some have tried it and couldn't give them away. I told the women at my quilt retreat about this and one of them came this year with a huge bag of scraps for me! I didn't really want donations, but a friend had given me a poly shower curtain he didn't use any more, so I cut it up and made 8 pet beds.
I wish I could get myself organized to cut my larger scraps into certain sizes, but so far they just go into colour-sorted shoe bins.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 AM

I save it if it is 2” or wider...otherwise I toss it out. If it is 2 inches in width I can always use it as a strip piece in a block or sashing.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:43 AM

My guild uses these kinds of odd scraps and any others we com up with to make dog/cat beds for the local ASPCA. We sew two fat quarters together with "french seams", stuff it about 3/4 full of scraps and then turn in the opening so there is a finished closure and stitch it twice twice. Done and approved by our local organization. We use both fabric and batting scraps in our donated beds.