Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help find a quilting frame for Skyline S9 >

Help find a quilting frame for Skyline S9

Help find a quilting frame for Skyline S9

Old 12-28-2018, 07:32 AM

I have a Janome with a 9 in throat on a frame and have found for me that the only pattern that works well is a meander, because by the time you get to the end you are down to only 2-3 inches.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeautiful1 View Post
Thank you! This is exactly what we are thinking about doing... hopefully it will be cheaper than buying an extension table... Was your experience with recessing the machine difficult? Would you do it again or just buy a portable extension table?
The table I bought had a drawer space already built in. I made a mess of cutting, but saw blade was bad...but it worked and only cost $15.00. For FMQ I got a sheet of clear vinyl at Walmart and tacked it around the table with machine cut out. I would like a do over and set the machine to the right instead of the middle so am on the look out for a different table. I figure I'll use this one for my Janome and a 'new' one with the cut out on the right side for the Juki 2010 that I gifted myself with this Christmas....I just couldn't pass up the interest free LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	605907  
Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeautiful1 View Post
Patrice,

I have looked at those as well but at this point I am only quilting at home and do not travel for classes etc... The portable table still looks a bit small to contain a larger quilt (perhaps twin sized?) What is your experience with your portable table like? Do you find that you have enough room for larger size quilts or do you still find yourself needing just a bit more room?

There is an option for $100 to get a table top extension table for this machine but i would still be "hovering" over it, so I gave up on that idea.
I quilted a large quilt, about 65 x 90 on it. As I said, I put the SewEzi table next to a larger table in my sewing room so I supports the quilt. I have also purchased the extension table which I haven't had a chance to try out yet. There is a larger table which would probably be nicer, but I'm starting to run out of space in my sewing room so opted for the smaller portable table so that I can take it down when I'm not using it if I wish. I've always used machines sitting on top of large office type tables, but I have to say that having the machine table height did seem to be easier on my back and shoulders. Also, the machine with the larger harp space helped a lot with that. I didn't have to be pushing and pulling the quilt thru the small harp.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
I have a Janome with a 9 in throat on a frame and have found for me that the only pattern that works well is a meander, because by the time you get to the end you are down to only 2-3 inches.
Thank you for that info! I am starting to think that for quilting I need a dedicated machine... I love my janome and it does amazing with embroidery, I am thinking that I need to leave it as an embroidery and piecing/general sewing and quilting should be done on a dedicated machine... after all, that's a lot of fast pounding... that makes me either sound spoiled or like a knowledgeable beginner quilter
Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by brendaj8689 View Post
The table I bought had a drawer space already built in. I made a mess of cutting, but saw blade was bad...but it worked and only cost $15.00. For FMQ I got a sheet of clear vinyl at Walmart and tacked it around the table with machine cut out. I would like a do over and set the machine to the right instead of the middle so am on the look out for a different table. I figure I'll use this one for my Janome and a 'new' one with the cut out on the right side for the Juki 2010 that I gifted myself with this Christmas....I just couldn't pass up the interest free LOL.

Yes! That is Exactly what I was thinking about! That looks awesome!!!

Did you buy your Juki from a dealer?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I quilted a large quilt, about 65 x 90 on it. As I said, I put the SewEzi table next to a larger table in my sewing room so I supports the quilt. I have also purchased the extension table which I haven't had a chance to try out yet. There is a larger table which would probably be nicer, but I'm starting to run out of space in my sewing room so opted for the smaller portable table so that I can take it down when I'm not using it if I wish. I've always used machines sitting on top of large office type tables, but I have to say that having the machine table height did seem to be easier on my back and shoulders. Also, the machine with the larger harp space helped a lot with that. I didn't have to be pushing and pulling the quilt thru the small harp.
Yes, I missed the part where you put the ez table next to a larger table, that makes sense! *totally just had to look up "harp space"...*sigh* apparently, throat and harp are used interchangeably!

I am assuming you are using your Juki for quilting? How do you like it?