Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wool pressing pad DIY? >
  • Wool pressing pad DIY?

• Wool pressing pad DIY?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 AM

About Watson "not being cheap". She's made it clear she's not cheap for the sake of being cheap but has other demands on her money: her horses.

Make your wool mat out of your blankets, Watson. And don't worry about appearing to be "cheap".
    Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 PM

I just ordered a wool carpet pad.... I ordered a 3ft x 4 ft and only paid $38 free shipping....also has a code at the top for 15%off...... I love it...... https://ecorugpads.com/wool-rug-pads...s-cushion.html

I ordered the natures cushion,....it is 100% wool
    Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Friday1961
    About Watson "not being cheap".
    Pretty sure that comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Watson - not to change the topic, but I've always been curious about horses and horseshoes. I've gone YouTubing, watched several videos where horses are being shod, and am quite fascinated by the process. Why do we do this, what happens to horses if they don't have "shoes"? What about wild horses? Do the horses understand and tolerate the process? (They seem to in the videos.)

Last edited by Peckish; 01-21-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Old 01-21-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter
    Have you ever considered using one of them for the batting inside a quilt? That would be so warm!
    Good idea !
    Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by connietoo
    I just ordered a wool carpet pad.... I ordered a 3ft x 4 ft and only paid $38 free shipping....also has a code at the top for 15%off...... I love it...... https://ecorugpads.com/wool-rug-pads...s-cushion.html

Connie, did ecorugpads.com send you the size you ordered? I ordered from them too and what they sent me was short 2" in both directions. I emailed them and told them I needed the exact size I ordered, for my ironing board. They were prompt to reply and are sending out another pad, but look at what he told me in his reply:

"No worries I will have another pad cut to your specifications sent out today. In the future you can specify not to cut the pad smaller in the special instruction box."

!!!!! Ridiculous, or what? So it's my fault, because I didn't tell them not to cut it smaller than what I ordered! I wonder what else you have to tell them not to do.

Just wanted to mention that, in case anyone else does business with them. Their prices are reasonable, but what you get is a rug pad... not a pressing mat. It is a little less dense (you can fold it). I ordered the 3/8" thick size, and it seems adequate for pressing.
    Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by connietoo

I also ordered from this company and I think I got the 3 ft x 6 ft as they are the same size and cut it in half and got two for the price of one. Works great and a lot cheaper.
    Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Connie, did ecorugpads.com send you the size you ordered? I ordered from them too and what they sent me was short 2" in both directions. I emailed them and told them I needed the exact size I ordered, for my ironing board. They were prompt to reply and are sending out another pad, but look at what he told me in his reply:

"No worries I will have another pad cut to your specifications sent out today. In the future you can specify not to cut the pad smaller in the special instruction box."

!!!!! Ridiculous, or what? So it's my fault, because I didn't tell them not to cut it smaller than what I ordered! I wonder what else you have to tell them not to do.

Just wanted to mention that, in case anyone else does business with them. Their prices are reasonable, but what you get is a rug pad... not a pressing mat. It is a little less dense (you can fold it). I ordered the 3/8" thick size, and it seems adequate for pressing.
    I think that the reason this happens (it was mentioned on the thread that I found ecorugs on as well) is that when the measurements are put in, they are put in a spot that says "rug length" and "rug width". They are normally cutting these to be used under a rug - so would be smaller all around. So you either have to put in a note (there's a field for that) to cut it to those measurements, or adjust the measurement upward to be what you want it to be. I'm sorry... not making myself very clear here.

Maybe you could cut the original one that you got to make it a travel size mat, and keep the second one they are sending for your ironing board. Or give it to a quilting friend?
    Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Oh - also check the descriptions of the products. Mine is 1/2" ecofiber, which I think is more dense than the nature's cushion they offer.
    Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 PM

I ordered from ecorugs and love my wool mat. After I got it I started wondering - why not go to a carpet store and see if they have scraps of wool carpet pads. Wouldn't that be the same thing? Just a thought I had. Might be a cheap way to go.