Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilt conundrum! >

String quilt conundrum!

String quilt conundrum!

Old 02-19-2019, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
PS I Love the look of the quilt as it is posted!!
I like it that way as well
Old 02-19-2019, 06:26 AM

I have never done a string quilt but I have done a OBW. I had the same problem and kept rearranging. I finally decided on a way I liked. I still look at it and think "I should have put this here and that there". I believe that would happen no matter how much I played with it. Sew it together because it's beautiful as is and there will probably always be someting you wish you had changed. Some of us just try too hard to organize something that's not meant to be "organized".
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM

I'm currently working on my very first string quilt, based on a Christmas stocking I made for my DIL. She loved the stocking, and asked for a quilt "just like it". My quilting OCD dictated that I use a common fabric in the center of every string block, but then I was stuck on the best layout. So I took pics of two possible layouts, and sent them to her parents and asked 'which one will she like better?". They said she is more of a symmetrical gal, so I went with the one on the top. It's ready for the long-armer now. Good luck with your project! [ATTACH=CONFIG]608754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]608753[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	608753   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	608754  
Old 02-19-2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bungalow59 View Post
I'm currently working on my very first string quilt, based on a Christmas stocking I made for my DIL. She loved the stocking, and asked for a quilt "just like it". My quilting OCD dictated that I use a common fabric in the center of every string block, but then I was stuck on the best layout. So I took pics of two possible layouts, and sent them to her parents and asked 'which one will she like better?". They said she is more of a symmetrical gal, so I went with the one on the top. It's ready for the long-armer now. Good luck with your project! [ATTACH=CONFIG]608754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]608753[/ATTACH]

Oh, I like this so much! I prefer the top one, too, and you've arranged your blocks very well, distributing the fabric evenly throughout the quilt. Great job!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM

The quilt is beautiful. I love the hit of purple blue in it. It really sets it off. This is my current string quilt in progress[ATTACH=CONFIG]608807[/ATTACH]

Name:	97571B2F-344D-4B01-8515-6F0475C75DCF.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	608807  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 PM

All the time. But when push comes to shove, I add sashing between the blocks. LOL
Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Also beautiful! Love the colors in this one! And the block design.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I didn’t read all of the responses so I hope I’m not being redundant. Have you tried a reducing glass? I find them most helpful with trying to find balance. A picture taken after you’ve decided will then keep you track. Hope this helps because I’m OCD as well.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:52 AM

Despite the fact that I am borderline OCD. The first time I did the paper bag method (with a single background fabric), I remember thinking things like, "this 30's repro looks awful next to that Thimbleberry." It was a mystery quilt to boot, so I had no idea how it was going to turn out, other than I was positive it would be awful. I kept telling myself "Even ugly quilts are warm", and I kept at i.

I'm so glad I did. Of all the quilts I have made, it is my favorite. It is on my bed right now, and it is the one quilt I refuse to give away. And now, I have two more quilts in the works with the paper bag method.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Well, here it is, the finished top. The white at the top and bottom is a sheet beneath it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]609020[/ATTACH]

I moved these blocks so many times that I, quite possibly, repeated arrangements I'd already tried! Although not perfect, especially considering the purple and red and white stripe, both of which stand out, I finally either came to a placement I liked, or, as I predicted, got bored with it, and decided it was done. Maybe a combination of both. I'm okay with it, believing I did as well as I could have.

I learned a lot, making this little quilt. One is that, if I make another -- and I'm sure I will -- I'll plan ahead a bit as to width of strips and placement, especially the corner strips, and definitely with color. Not sure I would, again, include a color as dramatically different as the purple, as someone else mentioned. I know "planning ahead" kind of defeats the purpose, but I'll be happier if I do, I think. I'm not unhappy with this one, especially in that it was a learning experience, but I'll probably never like the hourglasses -- which are anything but hourglasses. And, I've accepted that I'm a matchy matchy type and will always be more satisfied when things "coordinate" at least somewhat.

It is a great way to use scraps and I eliminated a lot of red and some white scraps. Even the red border is a border I took off of something else, for reasons I've forgotten, and saved. It's the same fabric as in some of the blocks.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions, encouragement, and compliments. This group is invaluable for that kind of feedback and help, and I've always -- and do -- appreciate it. Thank you!

Name:	DSCN0376 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	609020  

Last edited by Friday1961; 02-22-2019 at 11:52 AM.