Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop? >

Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop?

Should I Open a Brick & Mortar Fabric Shop?

Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I work part time for a CPA who is also a friend and fellow quilter. She owns her own business and we've spent several hours discussing the difference between being a CPA and being an accounting business owner. She said she bought the business because she loves accounting, but after several years has realized that owning an accounting business has nothing to do with accounting. I think this is true of Any business. Don't go into business because you love a specific industry; go into business because you want to run a business.
I find this amusing! I ran my own sewing business for several years, and in the end, I discovered I liked the bookkeeping side of it the best, and didn't like having my hobby be my job.

So I went back to college and now am a high paid accountant. If I ever need a part time job, I figure I'll offer to do bookwork for small businesses (like LQS) and then I can be around fabric a bit, and still do the part I enjoy.

there is a joke that if you own your own business, you only have to work half days. And the best part, it does not matter which 12 hours a day you pick!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
there is a joke that if you own your own business, you only have to work half days. And the best part, it does not matter which 12 hours a day you pick!
That is so true!
Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your input! I'm truly floored by how many replies there were and I have read each and every one of them.

Since some of you asked, I'm in my late 20s, engaged with no kids.

However, after doing some more research, talking to my fiance, and visiting some more LQS, I've come to the conclusion that opening an LQS is not for me at this time. There's just too much capital needed to start and I think the situation would be stressful when we're trying to start a life together. Maybe someday down the road! (Like in 40 years when I retire, LOL!)

In the meantime, I'll continue to support my local fabric shops and keep sewing! Thanks again everyone for all your replies!
Old 02-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
It's very hard to run a small business for profit, when more and more customers are buying online. Good luck to you. If you decide to take it on, you're much braver than me.
I agree..on line shopping is killing small business...but...having said that..you need to sit down and do some hard math. Almost every small business that I've seen fail, failed because they started out with a ton of debt. Are you going to buy a building or rent? How many yards of fabric would you need to sell in a month to cover JUST that cost?
What about insurance, advertising, utilities, not to mention the initial cost of the fabric and store fixtures. If you don't sell enough to make your rent will you be able to loan the business money..for a month, 3 or 6??? Are you okay with that?
How are your skills with book keeping? You will need to be on top of workers comp, payroll, orders, and a million other details.
Are you going to make kits or have classes? Who will do that, and will you have the time?

I'm exhausted just thinking about it! If you think it's for you, sit down and REALLY HONESTLY crunch the numbers.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:13 PM
mkc

Anna (guessing that's your first name based on your "handle" ;-) )

Good for you putting lots of thought into the idea!

One idea, since you have many years of sewing ahead of you, yet also much experience, your skills might go a long way to encourage other younger folks. You might look into options for teaching/coaching sewing. Possibly at a LQS. Possibly at a local community college/non-credit course offering. A great educator is worth her/his weight in gold and it might turn into a better business opportunity in the future than a shop.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 AM

I know you've replied to this thread and are putting your dream on hold but mkc has a great suggestion. We had adult ed classes at the local high school where I used to live and quilt classes were offered. They were very popular - in fact, I took one when I was a young mother. Teaching is a valuable skill. It would also give you a taste of working with others. I had a dream fairly recently of teaching on the college level. After assisting others in some Masters Level classes, I found that I did not have the patience to deal with some of the personalities of the students. (Ironic, since I had all the patience I needed to work with elementary students). Initially, it was a disappointing revelation but in the long run, it worked out for the best for me.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Think about this.....everyone who sews anything at all has some sort of left over fabric. Many of us quilters have over purchased quilting fabric and wonder what the next project they can make from it will be. Consider a consignment shop for left over fabric. You won't need to buy bolts upon bolts of fabric that way. A small store front and some displays will be needed of course, and a cash register. As with any store, a great bookeeping method will be a necessity, but with the experience you have at your current job, that should be easy enough to set up. In time maybe you can add some basic muslin, or Kona fabric to the store.
That is a brilliant idea for consignment.....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-27-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 02-27-2019, 11:44 AM

I love the idea of a consignment shop. It could be one location or a combination of locations, or a moving location; i.e., on-line, a store front, pop-up store, bazaar sales, etc. Not only fabric, but UFOs or finished tops, or quilt kits, quilt books, anything quilt related. This sounds fun to me and would be a huge savings on inventory.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:16 PM

The stores that seem to do well are ones that also sell machines. I do go into my LQS but find that they don’t always have what I am looking for. I do know that some people sell fabric but only at sewing shows where they set up booths. Definitely talk to other owners and see why they have found works.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 PM

It seems to me it would be a good idea to go work in a LQS to see if you actually like it. There is a difference in working somewhere and shopping there. For example I wouldn't want to work the cutting counter at JoAnn but I like shopping there. Also if you are working there you can get a birds eye view of what that owner goes thru, how customers really behave, etc. Everyone isn't as nice as they think they are. :-) I personally mainly shop remnants and sales. I get a thrill out of finding a pretty fabric or great fabric color for cheap. I occasionally buy regular price yardage in a local LQS if the print really knocks me out but I normally don't spend $10 or $12 a yard on fabric. I am one who buys fabric and then decides what color quilt to make. You would have to work at it to get me to spend money regularly at your LQS.