Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charged for a punch card >

charged for a punch card

charged for a punch card

Old 03-09-2019, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
that is a first for me! I was glad when my LQS switched up from a punch card to them keeping track in their computer system and awarding that way--I had to just have all these shopper cards stuck in my wallet!
Agree ... though I have had two stores that "lost" me in their systems .... a lot of purchases down the drain for the bonus credits! a $aving$ for them?

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I was too surprised to say no but as I was leaving the store was thinking that will be the last punch card I “buy” from them. Other nearby stores have better selection, better punch programs, etc. just a bit more of a drive for me.
IKWYM totally!
I think we all get caught with surprise at times, and realize later what we wished we did/said!
It definitely would be my last time to even enter the store, I am sure.
Sometimes it is just "worth" the drive to those a bit further afield.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-09-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Rather than thinking the $1.50 is going to put more $$ in the store's coffers, I think it is to help the customer take ownership of the punch card, and be more pro-active about keeping track of and presenting the (one) card they have to be punched when they purchase something. If I paid for it, I will be more likely to keep track of it.

It could be pretty time consuming and frustrating to have to wait till the customer goes through her purse to find the 3 or 4 partially filled cards when she wants to cash them in. And easier for a clerk to cheat the system for a pal, if partially punched cards are accepted.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:56 PM

One of my favourite stores uses a punch card system, but the keep the cards in a file by the till for you. You don't have to punch your own card, either; I don't shop there enough to want my own card, so I just have them punch my Mom's card when I'm there.

I would never pay for a punch card, unless I knew I would shop there enough to make it worthwhile. My purse is full of half-filled punch cards that are useless because the programs ended before I could redeem my card.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:10 PM

It's a shame they lost you as a customer over $1.50 . I think you should call and tell them, now that the shock has worn off, because it might be an eye-opener. Why would they simply not allow partially-filled cards to be redeemed? Or say we don't combine cards (ie you can't have 8 punches on this plus 2 on that to give you your 10th punch). Not that I see anything wrong with that, but maybe they've had cheaters or people holding up the line digging for their card. I don't know, but if I were the owner, I would want your feedback because I would guess this policy rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I certainly would not pay $1.50 for a card. Nor would I be careless with one if the reward were worthwhile.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I've never been asked to pay for a punch card, but I did have to pay once to be put on the shop's mailing list. It was only a dollar, and well worth it to me to know about new classes and sales, but somehow I never received a mailer, even after I paid. I agree you should let the store know that their charge is rubbing people the wrong way.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:30 AM

Just curious, what is the "reward" of the punch card? What do you get after so many punches? and how many punches before the "reward".
For what its worth, I would never ever pay for a punch card. If a quilt store is looking to get my loyalty, have a changing variety of fabrics, have competitive prices, sales or specials, classes, fun events, offer the intangibles like customer service, friendliness, willingness to go an extra step, basically, treat me like they are happy to see me and that just my shopping in their shop is good for THEM.
A shop I know of has a reward program run through their cash register system, after spending so much money, you get a preset cash reward to spend as you please in the shop. The customers don't have to do anything, just give your name when paying and it shows on your receipt where you are in the accumulation of the set amount.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

We had a local quilt shop the 20 years ago charged $5 for the punch cards— when you filled it you received $50 worth of free merchandise and people were much better at not losing them. They can be expensive to have made ( hers were plastic and had a card and key card ( you put on your key ring) she has since retired and closed up but customers understood the reason for purchasing
Old 03-10-2019, 03:38 AM

I have heard of punch cards for hair salons and nail salons....but never a fabric shop. I'm sure I would have turned them down.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:09 AM

I shop at a LQS that issues a card with 10 or 12 spaces. Each time you buy full priced merchandise, that amount is recorded on the card you carry in your purse. When all spaces are full they total it up and you get 10% in 'free merchandise'. The plan has no attraction for me. I go for the sale merchandise and know I am money ahead. You don't have to buy the card and you don't have 'to play the game'. On the other hand, I do play the grocery store loyalty game. And, when it is time to redeem the gas rewards of up to $1.00 we fill up our diesel truck-not our little Subaru because it is a one time fill-up up to 25 gallons. The truck holds 35 gallons and the car holds 12. That is worth a lot of money in a year.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:39 AM

I feel coupons and other perks to get you into the store are not what they used to be. Too many exclusions, etc., just not fun anymore.