Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A word of praise for my design wall >
  • A word of praise for my design wall

• A word of praise for my design wall

Old 03-17-2019, 03:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elise1
    I should do this also. How to you attach the fleece to your wall?

Thanks for the idea.
    Mine is stapled to the back of homosote, then the boards screwed with washers to the wall.
    That's the 10ftx7-1/2ft design wall.

I have an other that is corroplast .... 4'x8' sheets
    Fleece is duct taped to the back. Then the sheets are screwed to wall.

I have smaller ones of homosote, 2'x4' ... same stapling to the back.
    Works great, leaned up, right next to the sewing machine.

Likewise for smaller corroplasts. Lightweight, and can slide into oblivion behind/under furniture or wherever you want.

Then the single block design walls are perfect right at the machine.

I mentioned earlier that pins are not needed for my quilts on the design wall.
    However, that being said, I do think it's important for the walls to be pinnable (when you can).
    ..... All of mine accept pins nicely, as I tend to pin patterns or other notes to the design walls.

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-17-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Old 03-17-2019, 09:27 PM

I'm really high tech, lol. Mine is tacked to the wall with giant push pins. I started out by using a staple gun to attach thin cork sheets to the wall to push pin into. That worked just fine, but I used them on the sides a bit, and they worked just as wel without the cork. Staple gun staples and pushpins both make holes that are sotiny that they can be spackled when you move.
    Old 03-18-2019, 05:18 AM

I sewed a pocket to hang my flannel backed table cloth with a curtain rod above my sewing room closet. I roll it up when not in use. I did buy the MSQC daily deal design wall since it is bigger. Thinking I am going to hang it in front of my current one since I could have Two design walls at once!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM

I do the flannel backed plastic tablecloth, as I have a wall but used the "design floor" for a lot of years. I have found that buying holiday cloths After the holiday I can spend a lot less, and cut the edge off and duct tape them together to make a really large design wall. But really, whatever works is my motto. I'm cheap and don't like to spend a lot - on anything. Some of my friends used the tableclothes and Roll them up for transport to sewing groups etc. so God Bless Blue Painters Tape. LOL

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1
    I should do this also. How to you attach the fleece to your wall?

Thanks for the idea.
    I didn't attach my flannel to the wall. The flannel is attached to foam board. I also didn't attach my big foam board to the wall. I just stand it wherever I want it leaning against the wall. They are big and so they never move. I do think when it's time to replace the flannel, I'm going to try fleece. I'll have to watch for a sale at Joann.
    Old 03-18-2019, 01:57 PM

I don’t have a lot of room to keep one up. I bought a Fons and Poter one on sale and I hang it in the kitchen with the hooks that can be removed . It works well for me. Easy to take down and put away. Deb
    Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I changed my design wall after being at a guild member's house and she had one covered with lofty poly batting. What a difference. She could put up a finished quilt top and it stayed put. The new design walls you can buy are treated with a light adhesive to hold the fabric. They are great to to take to a retreat.
    Is it just batting or fleece covered?
    Old 03-18-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Mine is stapled to the back of homosote, then the boards screwed with washers to the wall.
    That's the 10ftx7-1/2ft design wall.

I have an other that is corroplast .... 4'x8' sheets
    Fleece is duct taped to the back. Then the sheets are screwed to wall.

I have smaller ones of homosote, 2'x4' ... same stapling to the back.
    Works great, leaned up, right next to the sewing machine.

Likewise for smaller corroplasts. Lightweight, and can slide into oblivion behind/under furniture or wherever you want.

Then the single block design walls are perfect right at the machine.

I mentioned earlier that pins are not needed for my quilts on the design wall.
    However, that being said, I do think it's important for the walls to be pinnable (when you can).
    ..... All of mine accept pins nicely, as I tend to pin patterns or other notes to the design walls.
    What is homosote and corroplasts? My house is very tiny so anything I can store behind furniture would work.
    Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Flannel didn't work well for me, I had found the old cardboard cutting table tools used in 60s? Has all the lines n graphs printed on it, anyways I put flannel on it but doesn't work well so I'm gonna try fleece!!! Than kj s ladies!!!
    Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Painiacs
    What is homosote and corroplasts? My house is very tiny so anything I can store behind furniture would work.
    Homasote .... probably the best way I can describe it is to say, think of paper mache, compressed into boards like plywood. It's quite hard, but soft enough to allow you to push pins or tacks into it. Will accept nails and screws without problem. 1/2" thick, comes in 4'x8' sheets and is quite rigid. I first was introduced to it via model railroading, as it is often used for the base when building model railroad systems. Should be available at building supply places.

Coroplast .... think of cardboard, but made of plastic. You've probably seen it used in lightweight signage, indoor or out. Look for signs that will be tossed out , and you have yours for free, though not likely they will be the full size, but a great way to try it out. Light in weight and semi-rigide, so easy to move around, or tuck behind/under furniture. Available from sign-making shops, either in 4'x8' sheets, or you may be able to buy offcuts at a reduced price.

Hope this helps you, Painiacs!