Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Do You Spray? >

Which Do You Spray?

Which Do You Spray?

Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 AM

My quilting group makes over 2,000 quilts a year. We spray the fabric. Lightly--but enough to stick. You may re-position the fabric if you need to do it. We quilt for a charity for children.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I do it both ways using 505 spray.

I prefer the fabric, because I have a better sense as to how much I have sprayed and where.
It disappears more on the batting, and so, not as easy knowing where it is.
Plus I feel it stays on top of the fabric, ready to stick, instead of sinking in on the batting.

Of course, some of this is mind over matter!

In the end ... do what works for you!

I do it both ways, too.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I lay out my backing, taunt but not stretched. I use painters tape to hold it flat. Spray my baste. Lay on my batting, smooth out any wrinkles. Spray my baste. Lay on my top, smooth out and Taa-Daa, ready to quilt. Don't know if this responds to your question but this is my process and has been for about 8 years now. I spray carefully so the whole area has a light mist of the basting material. It works for me!
This is pretty much how I do it. I use tape and I use pins temporarily in places to make sure the whole thing doesn't shift, and I spray in sections, lifting and folding back each layer, spraying, then smoothing.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
I lay out my backing, taunt but not stretched. I use painters tape to hold it flat. Spray my baste. Lay on my batting, smooth out any wrinkles. Spray my baste. Lay on my top, smooth out and Taa-Daa, ready to quilt. Don't know if this responds to your question but this is my process and has been for about 8 years now. I spray carefully so the whole area has a light mist of the basting material. It works for me!
Me, too.

bkay
Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 AM

I always spray on the batting but I don't think it really matters. When I first started using spray baste I would often overspray and had less issues with that going into the batting. Before I use my batting though I fluff it up in the dryer to get out any creases and such.

I don't have a lot of room in my house and much prefer to use my friend's long arm! But when I can't the long arm I use my queen bed, first I take off all the blankets and pillows (so usually combine this with fresh sheets/laundry day). I have rolls of brown heavy kraft paper, like the old fashioned paper bags (not the new thin ones). I cover my bed completely with those. They are waste product from hubby's work. Before I had access to them I used vinyl tablecloths I got from Big Lots/Dollar Store, or the really flimsy plastic ones for birthdays or holidays -- pick them up after the holiday when they go on sale.

Typically I put the backing on first, so the fluffed up batting is laid out and then the back (or top) is folded in half. and positioned over the batting. I find I can only be good about 1-2 feet at a time, the first set is very important because once it is on I can reposition the bundle towards the foot of the bed where I can go a full row at a time. So that first set I spray from about halfway on one side then go to the other side. Then I lift up the fabric and smooth it down over the sprayed part, repeating on each side of the bed. Then I can slide it down closer to the foot of the bed and go across, still only 1-2 feet at a time.

Then I make sure the back is on nicely and firmly with no wrinkles and flip the whole thing over and start again with the top.

Before my husband moved in (16 years ago) I had enough room that I could move the furniture in the living room and would lay the quilt out on the floor using canned goods to hold the backing fabric down. Now we have all sorts of habitats with snakes and lizards and such in them... My bed technique may be physical and awkward but still better for me than crawling on the floor!

My friend Pam uses the board technique. She happened to have a couple nice pieces of trim left from a project so they aren't as thick and heavy as 2x4s but are still stable. She staples the fabric to the wood and winds it around, and then attaches the other end to the other board. Then she can position her fabric snug with a 2-3 foot opening that she works well in.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:08 AM

I spray fabric, lay batting, then spray batting, lay top. I don't, typically, do an all over spray. I spray in spots....don't know why but it works for me so I keep doing it. On larger quilts, I may spray more liberally.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I spray fabric, lay batting, then spray batting, lay top. I don't, typically, do an all over spray. I spray in spots....don't know why but it works for me so I keep doing it. On larger quilts, I may spray more liberally.
This is my method, too. And I've just been pleasantly surprised at how well the spray glue holds, as I was ripping all the quilting out of the little string quilt I made in preparation for re-quilting it. I basically mauled that quilt sandwich, handling it so much, and it held together.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
When you spray baste, do you spray the fabric or the batting?

Most every video I watch, they spray the fabric, but I find it sticks better if I spray the batting. Am I imagining things?

Watson
I do mine in sections. I have the backing rolled on a board and the first portion to be sprayed clamped to a table. I spray the backing fabric First, then roll the batting out, then spray the batting and roll the top (also rolled on a board) over that. This way I can co it myself with no extra hands and it always turns out great. I'm only dealing with a small portion of the quilt at one time, which is manageable for one person.

I use boards like Sharon Schamber uses to baste. That way I get pretty good coverage and no major issues with wrinkles or creases. I've used her method for basting with thread for years and never thought to use it for spraying. check her out on Youtube for info

***Patricia Drew suggested this method for spray basting and it works great every time.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-10-2019 at 10:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps