Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting machine tension problems >

quilting machine tension problems

quilting machine tension problems

Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 PM

When I was learning years ago on my mechanical I would write down fabric thread type on top and bottom and when I got the tension right I would record it to reference later to if I used cotton/cotton cotton/poly poly/poly the tension would be different on each. I feel like once you get a handle on tension, there should be no issues all the time with your machine. If its more trouble than its worth I would invest in a new machine that caused me less grief. Sewing should be fun and not frustrating
Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 PM

I also recommend doing test sandwiches of the material you plan to use and work out tension before working on your project
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Hello, quilter1963. Did you ever work out your tension problems? I just joined this board and have a KenQuilt 633 which I bought used about 2 years ago. It's the same machine as the 622 but with a slighter bigger throat. I've had my share of problems and have worked through most of them on my own as I have no shop locally. I would love to compare notes, it see if I could be of any help and maybe pick up a few new pointers.

Jeannie
Old 04-20-2019, 11:22 AM

Here it is 2019 and as an owner of a Kenquilt 622 I am reading your post! I have had my machine, purchased new in 1990, for many years and supported myself with it for 5 years so as you see it has been used, used and used. I have one question: If you push your thread take up lever down does the needle bar move? My machine sews like a charm but I don’t remember if it has always been this way. Oh, and one more thing...I am getting a bad smell and the motor is really hot to the touch...don’t remember that either...thinking I need a new one? I am having a bit of trouble remember things due to chemo brain. (I am a cancer survivor...happy days)
Old 12-05-2021, 07:49 AM

My old Kenquilt is giving me tons of tension problems. So many threads on the bottom, which I realize is the top tension. But, when I tighten the tension my top thread breaks. Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2021, 02:40 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Jstritz View Post
My old Kenquilt is giving me tons of tension problems. So many threads on the bottom, which I realize is the top tension. But, when I tighten the tension my top thread breaks. Any ideas?
With most longarms, you first set bobbin tension, then adjust top tension. If your top tension is breaking and the needle isn't too small for the thread you are using, then you need to lower the bobbin tension.

Think of the tensions as a tug of war - too much bobbing tension or too little upper tension cause the top thread to be pulled to the back. Too little bobbin tension or too much top tension cause the bobbing thread to be pulled to the top.

Look for a Jamie Wallen video on setting bobbin tension if you don't have a Towa gauge.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:41 AM

I have a KenQuilt 622 that sometimes gives me tension problems. I have found that if I completely loosen the top tension (turn the tension knob to the left until the knob is at the end of the screw) then work on a test PC, slowly tightening the tension until I get it where it needs to be. I don't know if it jiggles tighter or not, but I have to do this every once in awhile.

Another thing I have found is that the thread must come off the spool smoothly. If the rod that catches the thread above the spool is not positioned directly over the spool, the thread pulls hard when it is coming off the backside of the spool and then I get tension problems or thread breaking.

I have not had the machine long or done a lot of quilting with it yet, but these are some items I have found.

I don't believe KenQuilt is still in business. I know the original company was sold, then it was sold again, and now I have trouble finding whether it is still in business.

If anyone has a copy of the manual from the early machines, can you share it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ResizedKenQuilt.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	638799  

Last edited by KS_FarmGirl; 03-27-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Comment: I am not really sure it is an early machine, the serial number is 5687