Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite? >

Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite?

Non-Sugar Sweeteners...What's your Favorite?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Stevia is great to use in blue berry cobbler and elderberry cobbler does not raise sugar count.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM

monkfruit, tastes like sugar and doesn't spike insulin
Old 05-18-2019, 05:52 PM

Have you tried "none of the above". I got tired of all the meds associated with being diabetic, so I cut sugar to zero, and carbs to 20g a day ....low and behold, I need zero meds. After a few months, you won't miss the sugar, trust me. Best of luck.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:01 AM

For several years now I have grown Stevia in my planters in the back yard. I dry it and powder it in a coffee grinder in the fall. I am a diabetic and now on a reduced carb diet that is working well. My stevia is green (not white) when done and I rarely use more than 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. in any recipe. I have bought commercial stevia and balked when I opened the package to find white??? powder and on the back it says to use it cup for cup of sugar. What else is in that package? Natural Stevia is one thousand times sweeter than sugar so, again I ask...what is in that package?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-19-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:08 AM
Suz

I use stevia in liquid form.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:39 AM

I really like swerve.
Lynda
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 AM

I'm going to try to make a stevia extract with my stevia leaves as soon as my plant gets big enough. It's pretty easy: combine vodka and clean, chopped stevia leaves in a small, mason jar. Cover and let steep for a couple of days. Strain, warm on the stove gently, to remove the alcohol, pour into a small, dropper bottle and done.

I wonder if you can clone stevia plants?

~ C
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM

I'll be interested in hearing how this works out for you! I'd love to make my own stevia.. Good luck!

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm going to try to make a stevia extract with my stevia leaves as soon as my plant gets big enough. It's pretty easy: combine vodka and clean, chopped stevia leaves in a small, mason jar. Cover and let steep for a couple of days. Strain, warm on the stove gently, to remove the alcohol, pour into a small, dropper bottle and done.

I wonder if you can clone stevia plants?

~ C
Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 AM

I've tried all sorts of things through the years. I like all the natural sweeteners, honey, maple syrup, etc. etc. I like sweet and I love all carbohydrates, it's my downfall.

I have some dried stevia leaves that I was putting in my tea, you have to develop the amount and timing or else you get an aftertaste.

Last year my doctor and I determined that I can't use any artificial sweeteners. Seems to be all of them... They kill off my gut bacteria and my diet soda habit meant I had chronic diarrhea for a couple of years. Took about 6 weeks and now I'm feeling fine. I can tolerate about 1 diet soda a week, but I have switched to what the hubby calls "non flavored sparkling water" like Buble or LaCroix. I still limit myself to one a day, it's my treat.

Even with my diabetes, my doctor would rather have me use a spoonful of sugar or other basic sugar rather than any artificial sweeteners. For years though I was a tea drinker and I liked it strong, sweet, and with milk. That sort of sets off cravings in me though, so now I drink coffee with milk and no sugar.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:09 PM

Monkfruit is my favored one, though I find it sweeter than sugar so I have to use less, but that's okay as it is expensive.