Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a quicker way than drawing a line from corner to corner? >

Is there a quicker way than drawing a line from corner to corner?

Is there a quicker way than drawing a line from corner to corner?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I like this idea. It would be even better if the cardstock had some sticky stuff under it, as in sticky notes. Then it wouldn't slip. I've never seen sticky notes in heavy paper. Maybe it would work with the light paper. Time to try it.

When I tried this method, I just pulled about 1/8th inch or so stack off the top of the sticky note pad as one unit, then just pressed it down on my machine. That worked, but the top sheets of note paper curled and became annoying. I even tried this product once when I saw it on someone's tip page somewhere:
https://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Mo...00JYE2NS0?th=1
Yep...moleskin strips. They have a sticky back, and enough bulk to have a good edge to use to guide the fabric. They stuck really well too. But I didn't like them stuck there when I wasn't trying to sew a 1/4 inch seam.

Isn't it great to know lots of different ways to do a tedious chore? If you get bored or tired of one method, you can always switch to another.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

I use the Fons and Porter narrow ruler, I can't think of the name, either. I started using sand paper to hold the fabric in place while I draw the line. I was working on a quilt with many tiny pieces and the sandpaper really helped to keep them in shape. Now I have the sandpaper on a clipboard and use a very fine leaded mechanical pencil for any half square triangles that I work on. There are so many different methods to use. This works for me. Short cuts often don't work for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:52 PM

My crescendo has a laser light. Line it up with the corner and I have a straight line without taking the time to draw. and line ink or pencil never shows
Old 06-19-2019, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
When I tried this method, I just pulled about 1/8th inch or so stack off the top of the sticky note pad as one unit, then just pressed it down on my machine. That worked, but the top sheets of note paper curled and became annoying. I even tried this product once when I saw it on someone's tip page somewhere:
https://www.amazon.com/Microfiber-Mo...00JYE2NS0?th=1
Yep...moleskin strips. They have a sticky back, and enough bulk to have a good edge to use to guide the fabric. They stuck really well too. But I didn't like them stuck there when I wasn't trying to sew a 1/4 inch seam.

Isn't it great to know lots of different ways to do a tedious chore? If you get bored or tired of one method, you can always switch to another.
I think what you are doing is putting the stack of sticky notes onto your sewing machine bed at the correct location.

My idea was to put the sticky note onto the piece of fabric. I think that is what the original poster was doing with the card stock.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Odif makes a spray to temporarily stick paper patterns to the fabric. Its called 202. Pretty handy.
Amazon.com › Odif-202-Pattern-Adhesi...